Ford Mustang Forum banner

Lowered car, added exhaust cut out. Front clunking sound?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  yellstang05 
#1 ·
Around the middle of May, 2015, I lowered my 2005 V6 Convertible Mustang with KONI Orange struts and shocks and ST Lowering springs. About 2 weeks ago, I installed an electric exhaust cut out in my y-pipe, not far from my long tube headers, but close to the arm on the y pipe. It is now mid June, and I am starting to hear some clunking sounds. The sound only happens on bumps, including small bumps. I can't pinpoint if they are coming from under me, or in front of me. Part of me thinks the added weight of the cut out is causing the bump stop piece of the arm on the y pipe to simply bang a little harder-if so, no big deal. Another part of me is wondering if it is the strut mounts up front. I want to believe it is the cut out because I never heard/noticed this sound until the cut out was installed. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Picture to show the y pipe's "arm" and "bump stop" I am referring to. Sorry if it's called something else. Wire Auto part Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Bumper

See less See more
#2 ·
Also to note, I got a wheel alignment the day after I lowered it. And I don't know how long I've noticed this for, but recently, probably in the past couple of weeks, I noticed that the faster I go, and the harder I brake, the more my steering wheel shakes. But I would find it hard to believe that this is an alignment issue.

#3 ·
Considering that you lowered it, it's quite possible that something in the suspension is loose. Cheapest possible fix is to go through and check all your work and check the tightness of the bolts.

If this is the exhaust, try moving the pipes where you think it's moving and see if you can get the same result. Also, you should check to see if the cutout is scraping the road or bumping something around it.

Back to suspension: if this happens on every small bump you hit, it's possible the upper strut mounts are bad if they are the original ones. The early models are known to go bad.

Can also check the bushings by moving suspension components to see if you have any extra play in them. Usually use a crowbar and wiggle the part near the bushing. Just don't put pressure on a sensitive part like brakes or any wiring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.