Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have a few questions for everyone. I am wanting to lower my 07 GT. I was wondering other than springs and struts, what else might I need, also I am going to want to put 18X9 up front and 18x 10.5 in the rear. Is this going to cause a problem with it being lowered. and Is there anything else I might need when I put the wheels and tires on. What brand of lowering stuff do you all like/dislike. also what else will I need with the wheels and tires. and will bigger wheels help with the wheel hop? Sorry this is so long winded, Thanks for your help.

JEff

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Try the search function. This has been covered at least a million times.:bigthumbsup

Welcome aboard:wavey

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
Sqidd is correct but, in a nutshell, you'll likely need either camber bolts or camber plates (strut mounts) and an adjustable panhard bar. Tires won't really affect the hop. You really need better control arms out back to fix that.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Welcome to AFM! Like the others said, there's a wealth of info in the archives, especially on topics that have been covered many times and because AFM has been around so long.

That being said, like STL stated, my rear tires (see signature) still hopped even before I put the blower on. Tires won't stop hop. It was only after I changed out the rear control arms that the hop stopped. Good luck! :bigthumbsup

oh, I have Steeda Ultralite lowering springs to narrow the fender gap with my big tires.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Coil overs are great if you want the ability to adjust your ride height on-the-fly or aren't quite sure on the drop you want. The other good thing is the springs are rated to go the the shocks/struts. More info in the archives.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Coil overs are great if you want the ability to adjust your ride height on-the-fly or aren't quite sure on the drop you want. The other good thing is the springs are rated to go the the shocks/struts. More info in the archives.
I've been doing a lot of reading here and it seems that whats needed are camber/caster plates and new rear LCA's if I'm not mistaken to correct the geometry of the suspension..

But what if you want to go much lower than what the average springs offer instead of, 1.5-2"... would like to go as far as 3"

Would coilovers be the only real option to acomplish the drop (followed by the items I mentioned above to help the alignment/geometry after the drop is achieved) ?

What out there would give a drop as low as 3"?

I want ZERO wheel gap. Not reduced wheel gap... but 0 wheel gap.

I'm searching and reading as we speak but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've been doing a lot of reading here and it seems that whats needed are camber/caster plates and new rear LCA's if I'm not mistaken to correct the geometry of the suspension..

But what if you want to go much lower than what the average springs offer instead of, 1.5-2"... would like to go as far as 3"

Would coilovers be the only real option to acomplish the drop (followed by the items I mentioned above to help the alignment/geometry after the drop is achieved) ?

Just a suggestion for getting more/better advice here: Don't bring a picture of a Honda with f*ed up camber to a Mustang forum. It makes us scared of what you might do to the dear pony.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just a suggestion for getting more/better advice here: Don't bring a picture of a Honda with f*ed up camber to a Mustang forum. It makes us scared of what you might do to the dear pony.
f'd up camber? I'm at barely -1... max -1.5 all around...

I'm at a Mustang forum beacuse i respect them especially the new 5.0 and I'm just trying to learn... so take it easy buddy...

Looking around this and a few other stang forums lately just learning and gathering information, believe me there are some pretty horrible looking mustangs out there, looking much worse than anything I could do to it lol.

you may not like it but in my book... this looks pretty good...
-- http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h10/starbai1985/cordi%20and%20s/IMG_9624c-1.jpg

-- http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h...ch 2010/concave/4496241156_d96b76d909_o-1.jpg

I love my Accord, my only gripe-- wrong wheel drive and no where near enough power. Which is where the respect for the Mustang comes in...

·
Registered
517 Posts

In order to get that low, coilovers are your only option unless you're OK with cutting springs. If you decide to get the coilovers, I believe Tein makes some for these cars.

As a sidenote, a 2" drop in the front and a 2.5" in the rear should give you the 0 wheel gap you're looking for. With that said, the Eibach Sportlines should fit the bill.
FORD MUSTANG
The Mustang pictured in the link has Tein's S tech springs which drops 1.5" in the front and 2.2" in the rear. And you can see the wheel gap is almost gone already. Not to mention, a drop that's much larger than this will more than likely cause driveability issues.

You will need an adjustable panhard bar in addition to the items you listed in order to correct the geometry.

·
Registered
237 Posts
f'd up camber? I'm at barely -1... max -1.5 all around...

I'm at a Mustang forum beacuse i respect them especially the new 5.0 and I'm just trying to learn... so take it easy buddy...

Looking around this and a few other stang forums lately just learning and gathering information, believe me there are some pretty horrible looking mustangs out there, looking much worse than anything I could do to it lol.

you may not like it but in my book... this looks pretty good...
-- http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h10/starbai1985/cordi%20and%20s/IMG_9624c-1.jpg

-- http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h...ch 2010/concave/4496241156_d96b76d909_o-1.jpg

I love my Accord, my only gripe-- wrong wheel drive and no where near enough power. Which is where the respect for the Mustang comes in...
You're telling me that camber reads -1.5 on a legit alignment rack?

The machine needs to be calibrated or you are spewing BS. I think I know which one is correct.

·
Registered
456 Posts

The machine needs to be calibrated or you are spewing BS. I think I know which one is correct.
I'm not trying to spew BS nor am I trying to start an e-thug war with you... All I know is what the machine spits out and is handed to me by the tech... if the information is incorrect, or I'm mistaken in some other way is pretty much irrelevant to the discussion. The point is in my opinion it looks good and doesn't hurt anything as I've yet to get any noticeable uneven tire wear with 5k miles on this set so far. Its an accord not the ultimate handling machine, I'm not worried about affecting performance too much on it so long as it looks good and is comfortable for my tastes I was happy. And for the record its much tighter and feels dramatically nicer than the stock form of the car. And since its never seen a track, and likely never will... its all about the street look which in my opinion is pulled off pretty nice for 'an Accord'

Not to mention that just because I do that to an Accord doesn't mean I'd do that to a Mustang...

Most would lift an F150 and throw some meaty off road looking tires on it but that doesn't mean that if your next vehicle is a mustang that you'd be trying to source a lift kit for it...

I said I dont like wheel gap, I didn't say I wanted to do anything crazy or unfitting for a Mustang.

Way to welcome a noob looking to research and gain information there guy.

All I know is all the lowered threads I've seen = most guys with prokits or otherwise not much more than a 1.5" drop and I still see at least a good 1" - 1.5" of wheel gap and its not much my taste...

But I'm still learning-- and if I come to find out through my research/reading on these forums and realize that a 2.5" drop would severely, negatively affect the handling of this car thats actually built for performance (unlike my accord) -- my priorities/goals may change for the Mustang... its a learning process...

Now, whether this is not your taste and its going to piss u off to see a mustang like this, or you love it and would like to help my search for knowledge on mustang suspensions, here is a picture of EXACTLY what I'd love to do some day. Its actually a great shot for comparisons sake beacuse it shows just how high a stock mustang really is next to what I'd like to accomplish.

nicesittingstang.jpg picture by starbai1985 - Photobucket

My goal is to have it sit like the black one in front and not the gray one in the fore ground.

Now if that eases your mind or not I dont know, but its my idea of the perfect sitting mustang and ultimately since it will be My car, I'm pretty sure that's whats important... now back to my request for information.

40th GT -
Thank you for the info...and yes i suspect like you say that coilovers are the only way to go to achieve this look. I've seen Prokit setups that look lower than other prokit setups and I'm not sure I understand why.

I guess the best way to ensure it sitting just how I like would be coilovers, Tein Flex seems to be a popular option..

So Panhard bar, camber/caster plates and tein flexes... seems to be the complete shopping list needed to fit the bill... or am I missing anything?

Thanks again man for your reply... the S-Techs and/or Sportlines may do the job but with such a low suspension I'd really like to adjust be able to adjust the dampening... and the Tein EDFC looks pretty promising..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry man, I was *mostly* just teasing you. I tend to forget that written words are easy to take the wrong way since they don't carry tone of voice. (but I really would change that picture if I were you)

That black Shelby does look sharp for sure!

Racecraft also has 2" dropped spindles for the front. Then if 2" still isn't enough you could do a combination of the spindles and springs. On the down side, they require a specific aftermarket brake setup. And what that'll do to the steering/suspension geometry I couldn't tell you. On second thought just stick with the coilovers.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Yeah, there is no way that is -1.5deg. Look at my avatar. That is -1.4deg and I know that is correct because I did it myself.:D

·
Registered
517 Posts

40th GT -
Thank you for the info...and yes i suspect like you say that coilovers are the only way to go to achieve this look. I've seen Prokit setups that look lower than other prokit setups and I'm not sure I understand why.
That's probably because of the differences in sidewall height. Some guys like shorter sidewalls (which increases the fender gap) while others don't.

I guess the best way to ensure it sitting just how I like would be coilovers, Tein Flex seems to be a popular option..
I think so too. But if you're strapped for cash, the Tein Superstreet seems to be a viable option as well.

So Panhard bar, camber/caster plates and tein flexes... seems to be the complete shopping list needed to fit the bill... or am I missing anything?
That should be enough. And you mentioned wheel hop in your original post. In order to fix that you'll need a good set of rear LCAs.

Thanks again man for your reply... the S-Techs and/or Sportlines may do the job but with such a low suspension I'd really like to adjust be able to adjust the dampening... and the Tein EDFC looks pretty promising..
No problem.
But if you're considering coilovers just for the damper adjustability feature, you could save yourself some money by getting regular lowering springs like the Sportlines or the H&R Supersports with adjustable shocks. The Tokico D specs seem to be a popular choice around here.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm not trying to spew BS nor am I trying to start an e-thug war with you... All I know is what the machine spits out and is handed to me by the tech... if the information is incorrect, or I'm mistaken in some other way is pretty much irrelevant to the discussion. The point is in my opinion it looks good and doesn't hurt anything as I've yet to get any noticeable uneven tire wear with 5k miles on this set so far. Its an accord not the ultimate handling machine, I'm not worried about affecting performance too much on it so long as it looks good and is comfortable for my tastes I was happy. And for the record its much tighter and feels dramatically nicer than the stock form of the car. And since its never seen a track, and likely never will... its all about the street look which in my opinion is pulled off pretty nice for 'an Accord'

Not to mention that just because I do that to an Accord doesn't mean I'd do that to a Mustang...

Most would lift an F150 and throw some meaty off road looking tires on it but that doesn't mean that if your next vehicle is a mustang that you'd be trying to source a lift kit for it...

I said I dont like wheel gap, I didn't say I wanted to do anything crazy or unfitting for a Mustang.

Way to welcome a noob looking to research and gain information there guy.

All I know is all the lowered threads I've seen = most guys with prokits or otherwise not much more than a 1.5" drop and I still see at least a good 1" - 1.5" of wheel gap and its not much my taste...

But I'm still learning-- and if I come to find out through my research/reading on these forums and realize that a 2.5" drop would severely, negatively affect the handling of this car thats actually built for performance (unlike my accord) -- my priorities/goals may change for the Mustang... its a learning process...

Now, whether this is not your taste and its going to piss u off to see a mustang like this, or you love it and would like to help my search for knowledge on mustang suspensions, here is a picture of EXACTLY what I'd love to do some day. Its actually a great shot for comparisons sake beacuse it shows just how high a stock mustang really is next to what I'd like to accomplish.

nicesittingstang.jpg picture by starbai1985 - Photobucket

My goal is to have it sit like the black one in front and not the gray one in the fore ground.

Now if that eases your mind or not I dont know, but its my idea of the perfect sitting mustang and ultimately since it will be My car, I'm pretty sure that's whats important... now back to my request for information.

40th GT -

First of all welcome to the forum. I will apologize for these guys. They seem like they are kinda ignorant at times but they mean the best. Also for 'an Accord' it looks SICK!!!! Thats saying alot since I am a die hard mustang fan. I love mine and I am always looking for the next opportunity to mod mine.

As far as the pic goes, Thats how I want mine to sit all the time. Wow is all I can say about that picture.

As far as the info ur looking for, this seems to be correct given that as mean others, I have read pretty much all the post on suspension at least for the S197 mustang. I find it to be very interesting to learn about how things work especially something you are passionate about. This info should be what ur looking for.

Hope this info is useful too you

·
Registered
298 Posts
Also Sqidd if you read this I have sent you a pm asking about some suspension mods I will be doing very soon.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Also Sqidd if you read this I have sent you a pm asking about some suspension mods I will be doing very soon.
I've got about 20 of them in there. I'm scared to get started on them!:gringreen

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey FireJ,
I have used the Eibach pro kit which lowers you about 1.5 all around. I also put 20x8.5's and 20x10's with 295 35 on the rear (overall 1" taller than stock) no rubbing and everything fits great. I used the caber bolts, no need for plates.
Knock your self out with the upgrade as it'll make handling better and sure makes a huge improvement to the look.
:bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.