Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be taking delivery of my 2012 next week and was looking to place an order for an aluminum driveshaft. This got me to thinking, i do plan on lowering the car, will i run into any problems with an aftermarket one piece driveshaft?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes if you lower it more then an inch you will need your pinion angle adjusted. I perfect time to complete this is when you have the stock drive shaft off. Just measure the angle from the output shaft of the transmission and the angle of the rear pinion yoke. Minus the transmisson from the rear and thats your angle.

How To Install A 2005-2010 Mustang Steeda Adjustable Street Upper Control Arm - Installation Instructions at AmericanMuscle.com
BaselineSuspensions.com.........Setting Pinion Angle

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the prompt response. Is the pinion angle adjustable via stock components?

·
Registered
775 Posts
an aftermarket one piece driveshaft is a funny 1st mod - poke around the internet and mustang magazines and see what others, enthusiast and venders, are starting out with their mods before you buy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, you will need adjustable control arms for this purpose. You can either get the upper, lower, or all 3.

I would suggest upgrading the control arms just as much for the performance gain.

Strano Performance Parts - Part Details

Thank you!

an aftermarket one piece driveshaft is a funny 1st mod - poke around the internet and mustang magazines and see what others, enthusiast and venders, are starting out with their mods before you buy.
Definitely not the typical first mod, but, this will be a project car for the company and one of our priorities will be to put this thing on a diet. Trust me...it won't be long before we jump ship for the intake/tune or go the procharger route.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thank you!

Definitely not the typical first mod, but, this will be a project car for the company and one of our priorities will be to put this thing on a diet. Trust me...it won't be long before we jump ship for the intake/tune or go the procharger route.
If this is the first mod, I'm very curious as to where this project is headed. Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If this is the first mod, I'm very curious as to where this project is headed. Please keep us informed.
Don't you know, American Muscle basically showed that the V6 Mustang improved 0-60 times by .7 seconds after swapping out the stock driveshaft for a 1-piece aluminum piece, in addition to some suspension upgrades.

I suspect more Aluminum Driveshafts are being sold now.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've heard redoing the exhaust can shave quite some weight.

I think someone mentioned that simply changing the axle-back portion from stock to roush saved a total of 40ish pounds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, you will need adjustable control arms for this purpose. You can either get the upper, lower, or all 3.

I would suggest upgrading the control arms just as much for the performance gain.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is the Steeda Adjustable Upper Control Arm for 2005 and Up Ford Mustang 555-4105 555-4107 555-4108 and the Steeda Competition Rear Upper 3rd Link for 2005 and Up Ford Mustang 555-4106 555-4107 555-4108 555-4109 the same thing?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually it is a good first mod. One of the few that pay for themselves over time. Plus a seat in the pants low end push. Next are light weight wheels for me. Then what ever else I can Lighten up. Rear seat delete comes to mind. Any other suggestions would be appreciated
Exactly the route that we are taking. The stock Brembo wheels weigh 32lbs...some porky suckers! Changing wheels alone will make a big improvement. Look at exhaust, the stainless works kit or the magnaflow muffler deletes will shave about 40lbs.

I've heard redoing the exhaust can shave quite some weight.

I think someone mentioned that simply changing the axle-back portion from stock to roush saved a total of 40ish pounds.
That is correct, the stock mufflers weigh a ton.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts