Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at some lowering springs and had some general questions. I have the gt rear end in my 4.0, so I've noticed im about .5-1" taller than stock now. I want to get 2" lowering springs, will I need to replace my shocks and struts as well? Im also planning on getting 18 or 19"x 10" deep dish wheels from the 99-04 gen, yes the offset I know, I like the way it looks. These should fit right? Anything Im missing?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
How did the 8.8 swap raise your car? Did you swap in the GT rear springs as well?

In my opinion, if you just want that lowered looks and slightly better handling, don't worry about the shocks and struts. It's something you can always come back to later if you want, and they're not cheap if you're just going for aesthetics.

I've been running about a 1.6" drop in the front and 1.8" drop in the back for a while with no problems on stock shocks and struts. If they blow at some point, I'll replace them with Tokio D specs or just go to coilovers but they're fine in the meantime.

With my 1.8" drop, I was able to run my Saleen 18x9s with 275s. Those wheels have a fairly high amount of positive offset (+35 I believe) so they stick out a tad and I never rubbed. The 2" drop MAY be pushing it if you're going for the big tire sticking out look.

I would buy the springs you want, install them, let them settle in, take your measurements, then make a decision. :bigthumbsup

Hope that helped somewhat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would stick with the 1 1/2" drop and get the right wheels for your car heres a couple of pic of an 04 wheel i put on to see how it looks,as you can see it is to close to the fenders.It will work if you like that look.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Rear springs on the GT are the same as the V6... if the car sits higher since the swap, you may have the original springs installed upside down or something else not installed correctly.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I would stick with the 1 1/2" drop and get the right wheels for your car heres a couple of pic of an 04 wheel i put on to see how it looks,as you can see it is to close to the fenders.It will work if you like that look.
Nice wheels/tires! Might need a wash though :bigthumbsup Jk I can't talk my car needs a cleaning too.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
So I was looking at some lowering springs and had some general questions. I have the gt rear end in my 4.0, so I've noticed im about .5-1" taller than stock now. I want to get 2" lowering springs, will I need to replace my shocks and struts as well? Im also planning on getting 18 or 19"x 10" deep dish wheels from the 99-04 gen, yes the offset I know, I like the way it looks. These should fit right? Anything Im missing?

2005-2013 Ford Mustang GT V6 UPR Pro Series Kit Lowering Springs by Eibach at UPR Products - Lifetime Warranty!
^^I'm running these springs on my car and they work well, but they are not a 2" drop. 2" drops look great on S197s, but they cause all sorts of handling problems.

Either way, you'll need an adjustable panhard bar. Especially if you swap to lower offset rims as you're planning. The driver's side tire will hit the quarter panel if you don't.
2005-2013 Ford Mustang Pro Street Double Adjustable Pan Hard Bar - UPR Products

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Maybe it's not any taller in the back, you just never noticed it before? These cars sit a little higher in the back than the front (GT and V6)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.