Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, my next mods are going to be lowering springs and 19" RTR wheels...I already have the stock upgraded 19" nickel wheels so I am not going up any size.

I don't want to really lower my car at all...I just want to take the wheel gap out of it.

I was looking at a few brands and can't really find the right review I am looking for.

Hotchkis, Ford Racing, & Eibach seem to be the ones that I was looking for. My one question about the Hotchkis is they say it is for the 2011+ models...Are the 2011+ GT model suspensions different from the 2010 GT models?

I want a ride that is almost "exactly" like stock. I know I will have to give up a little bit of the stock feel but my wife drive's the car daily for about 70 miles (highway) and I really don't want a worse/stiffer ride than I have now...

Any advice on brands, etc would be awesome...Thanks!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I just got some voughland springs, i havent put them in yet but from what people have its only a bit stiffer then the stock ones and will give about a 1" drop

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have the Eibach pros...it's kinda middle of the road for drop. Wheel gap is far gone, and I can tell a difference in handling. I won't say it's caddy smooth going over potholes, but they're not backbreakers either. I think it's the best of both worlds, doesnt have that slammed look, and it's not so stiff I can't drive it everyday to work.

If you're insure of the "middle of the road" drop, go for the FRPP springs with a 1" drop.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the Eibach pros...it's kinda middle of the road for drop. Wheel gap is far gone, and I can tell a difference in handling. I won't say it's caddy smooth going over potholes, but they're not backbreakers either. I think it's the best of both worlds, doesnt have that slammed look, and it's not so stiff I can't drive it everyday to work.

If you're insure of the "middle of the road" drop, go for the FRPP springs with a 1" drop.
Dittto for the above comments. I have the Eibach pros and the ride seemed " rough" for about the first half hour, then was smooth. Basically, I got used to it very quickly. That, plus the improvement in handling made me forget any extra jiggling . My wife didn't notice any difference at all in the ride. The drop was about 1.5 inches all around, but there are no problems with speed bumps; just need to be careful with curbs.

2009 GT vert

·
Registered
742 Posts
You mean something like this?

1.5" drop and a not too harsh suspension system?
Steeda Sport Springs (or Steeda Ultralite springs)
GT500 shocks and struts (from greenleafprime on eBay)

Just FYI: Those are 18" rims.

Oh stay with linear springs. They are a lot less harsh.
Hint: These are springs that have equal size gaps between coils from the top to the bottom.
Not the ones where the size of the gaps are small then gradually increases.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dittto for the above comments. I have the Eibach pros and the ride seemed " rough" for about the first half hour, then was smooth. Basically, I got used to it very quickly. That, plus the improvement in handling made me forget any extra jiggling . My wife didn't notice any difference at all in the ride. The drop was about 1.5 inches all around, but there are no problems with speed bumps; just need to be careful with curbs.

2009 GT vert
That's what I was going for...about 1.5" all around. Do you have any pictures of yours? Also, did you keep your stock shocks/struts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You mean something like this?

1.5" drop and a not too harsh suspension system?
Steeda Sport Springs (or Steeda Ultralite springs)
GT500 shocks and struts (from greenleafprime on eBay)

Just FYI: Those are 18" rims.

Oh stay with linear springs. They are a lot less harsh.
Hint: These are springs that have equal size gaps between coils from the top to the bottom.
Not the ones where the size of the gaps are small then gradually increases.
I was actually looking at the Steeda's this weekend online...seems like a good product. Where did you get the springs from? Can I ask how much you spent on the springs/shocks/struts?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Noob Follow-up:
I know close to nothing (comparitively) about suspension.
When lowering springs are installed, what else needs to be done ?...alignment, other adjustments, parts replaced ? [assume a simple 1" drop all around is desired].
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I was actually looking at the Steeda's this weekend online...seems like a good product. Where did you get the springs from? Can I ask how much you spent on the springs/shocks/struts?
I got mine from Brenspeed. They sell it now for $262
Mustang Lowering Springs

I got my GT500 shocks and struts from greenleafprime on eBay when he had plenty of them back then. You might have to ask him if he still gets them. I believe it cost me maybe $100 plus $25 shipping. His package back then came with GT500 front sway bar which I installed, GT500 springs, and GT500 strut tower brace. His shop converts GT500's to Super Snakes. So he gets brand new GT500's and takes out the suspension parts which ends up on eBay for cheap. He's the best Mustang parts retailer on the planet as far as I am concerned. I was too stupid not to get the GT500 hood and GT500 wheel and tire kit when he had them. $200 for the brand new painted hood, and $500 for a brand new wheel and tire set. Nobody can beat that!!!

270+100=370

Or you can snag this from greenleafprime for $299 before somebody else does. It's not the same setup though. But being all Ford parts, I would "think" it should all work together well.
05-11 Mustang GT 1" Suspension Lowering Kit Ford Racing | eBay

·
Registered
742 Posts
Noob Follow-up:
I know close to nothing (comparitively) about suspension.
When lowering springs are installed, what else needs to be done ?...alignment, other adjustments, parts replaced ? [assume a simple 1" drop all around is desired].
thanks in advance.
At 1.5" drop, most of the time, no alignment is needed. But if you notice a drastic negative camber on the front usually it can be re-aligned without using camber bolts. The local Ford dealer here was able to bring mine to near stock even when I had mine lowered up to 2.75". Notice in the picture below, the top of the wheel is angled in and looked tucked in the wheel well, while the bottom is angled out. That's a negative camber.

I believe if your car is older than an 07, you might want to look into upgrading your front strut mounts. I was told Ford improved the strut mounts sometime on 07 and up. Brenspeed was nice enough to check if I indeed have the improved strut mounts and told me I don't need them. A weak strut mount would result in a knocking noise (single knock, not constant knocking noise) when you make a turn. Never had that problem!

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's what I was going for...about 1.5" all around. Do you have any pictures of yours? Also, did you keep your stock shocks/struts?
Sorry, no pictures yet, but I will attempt to post some.

I also installed Tokico HP series struts and shocks. An alignment will be required whether you install the springs alone or in combo with the shocks/struts. ( at least it was for my vehicle, but not everyone has the same experience)

·
Registered
122 Posts
At 1.5" drop, most of the time, no alignment is needed. But if you notice a drastic negative camber on the front usually it can be re-aligned without using camber bolts. The local Ford dealer here was able to bring mine to near stock even when I had mine lowered up to 2.75". Notice in the picture below, the top of the wheel is angled in and looked tucked in the wheel well, while the bottom is angled out. That's a negative camber.

I believe if your car is older than an 07, you might want to look into upgrading your front strut mounts. I was told Ford improved the strut mounts sometime on 07 and up. Brenspeed was nice enough to check if I indeed have the improved strut mounts and told me I don't need them. A weak strut mount would result in a knocking noise (single knock, not constant knocking noise) when you make a turn. Never had that problem!
Thank you sir !

·
Registered
295 Posts
I did the Eibach Pro Kit springs on my 09 GT and my wife's 09 GT convertible. She thought they actually improved the ride of her car. I also put 20's on both cars when I did the springs. One thing to keep in mind is that you may need use a adjustable panhard bar to re-center your rearend after installing the springs. I had to on my car but, not on my wife's car.

We have pics of both in our gallery.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have pics in my profile.

Yes, if you're going to install springs, you should install shocks and struts, camber plates or bolts, a PH bar, and will need an alignment. The stock shocks and struts can't handle most aftermarket spring rates(shy of maybe the FRPP 1" drop).

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Im a really big fan of the Steeda Ultralites. They give you the lower stance, a stock like ride, and better handling as well. They are a great bang for the buck for $262.45 and you cannot beat the quality.

Chandler

·
Registered
742 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Also, American Muscle has very wisely added GT500 Strut Mounts to their inventory so when you swap out springs you can do the strut mounts at the same time (highly recommended) and they are cheaper then most other places, I should know...I paid about $20 more for mine. :gringreen I've seen them go for up to $40-$50 more on ebay.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'm about to put on my brother's old set of Eibach Sportline springs. I can't freaking wait! Will I need anything else when I put these on? I don't have any money for any mods whatsoever, so I hope I can just throw the springs on and have no issues with all stock suspension.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts