Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah you can but from reading the other threads that others have posted they say it's a ruff ride. I've also heard of heating the springs but that can weaken them and also causes a ruff ride. So if you chose either of those you might find it better to just buy lowering springs...

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can cut the springs but like 95 stang said the ride quality is none existant. Get a eibach pro kit or some used steeda springs. You can find them cheap on ebay or craigslist for around 100 bucks used if not cheaper.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Generally cutting the springs gives a softer ride and lower ride height, one reason for this is the spring are compressed in the vehicle. If you are after improved handling, stiffer springs and sway bars are the way to go.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
the stock springs are progressive. that is, they don't have a constant spring rate throughout the spring, so cutting them would certainly hurt your performance, and most likely reduce your ride quality.

now if you had linear springs, i would say go for it. the spring rates in linear springs are consistent throughout the spring, and cutting them wouldn't have any effects on performance or handling.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i guess you could use that rational. i would personally never do it. if you can just cough up the dough and do it right.

+1 i have steeda sport springs in my pony and i love them cost me $220ish form AM. why would you not care how your car rides thats most of the reason why you would do anything to the suspension in the first place.

·
Registered
546 Posts
also do not heat up your springs you will damage your car because you cant control how much you shrink the spring and you will have 4 diffrent size springs in your car and that will put stress on other parts in short dont do it you will be happy you didnt

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
haha love it, this is what my pops, grandpa, uncles, all the old timers did cut thier springs and go downt he road wishing they didnt do it. now adays with springs being so cheap id say cutting spring is ricer. ur to cheap to make it look good and it WILL look like crap ur a ricer, might want to rethink this.:shigrin take a look at ur local craigslist and you will find some springs for cheap

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
Dude just get a set of aftermarket springs, cutting them is so old school, you'll need good aftermarket shock/struts as well, buying a matched set (springs/struts/shocks) is the smart way to go...I have Koni on my Cobra...fabulous

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.