Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought some shorty headers off ebay and i need some help.

what tools do i need?
i don't have much exp taking major parts of my car, is it difficult to change?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not super difficult. Installing mine was my first experience with headers. You're going to need a ratchet set, some jack stands, a jack, and some PB blaster for rusty bolts. A wrench will help with unscrewing your EGR tube. It's possible to do it without jackstands or a jack, but its easier to get under the car to tighten the lower bolts that connect to your cats.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not super difficult. Installing mine was my first experience with headers. You're going to need a ratchet set, some jack stands, a jack, and some PB blaster for rusty bolts. A wrench will help with unscrewing your EGR tube. It's possible to do it without jackstands or a jack, but its easier to get under the car to tighten the lower bolts that connect to your cats.
yea i definitely need some jack stands my car is way too low. where can i get pb blaster from?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I got mine at autozone. It stands out pretty well. Bright yellow cap, white can that looks like it's drawn on with marker lol cant be beat, though

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice the headers should be here by the weekend so i wanted to get my hands dirty. i noticed you have the same headers i just bought, do you have a pic of them? did you notice a diff once you got the tune for the headers?

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
one more note, on the dipstick tube, just remove the bolt ( its metric and you will have to go get one 1/4-3/8" longer) give the tube a slight wiggle and pull straight up, it will pull out and be out of the way. make sure the o ring is still on it then re install after you get the header on. just dont forget to put it back in :D you will have to bend the coil bracket just a little, no biggy. ok, thats about it

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info and help. btw amustangrocks i have a custom H :cooldude:. big help very informative, i will take pics of it this weekend :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm glad amustangrocks came in to pick up the slack on those instructions! That's what happens when I type instructions at midnight...:shigrin

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I'm glad amustangrocks came in to pick up the slack on those instructions! That's what happens when I type instructions at midnight...:shigrin
lol,,,,i cant help myself. i say to myself to give it a break on the posts, then bam, bam, bam :D hows the h pipe sound josh? you really dont need a tune for the headers. they do look sweet in the engine bay though, and they will add a little performance.

that pb blaster is some good stuff, most auto parts have it now. leave the factory exhaust studs in place, and re use the nuts. ive been saying i`m gonna replace them with some new stainless nuts for a couple years. i dont recall having any problems or issues. it was a fun sat project, just a little time consuming. most of its just from the top so use some fender covers :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I always throw this little tip in for everybody installing these.....if you take out the battery and its holder, the passenger side converter bolts are super easy to get to from the top...saves a bunch of headaches from trying to get at'um from under the car.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol,,,,i cant help myself. i say to myself to give it a break on the posts, then bam, bam, bam :D hows the h pipe sound josh? you really dont need a tune for the headers. they do look sweet in the engine bay though, and they will add a little performance.

that pb blaster is some good stuff, most auto parts have it now. leave the factory exhaust studs in place, and re use the nuts. ive been saying i`m gonna replace them with some new stainless nuts for a couple years. i dont recall having any problems or issues. it was a fun sat project, just a little time consuming. most of its just from the top so use some fender covers :)
the H pipe has a nice deep growl to it which is why i went with it instead of the X pipe. i highly reccomend a H if you want a great sounding car. some people dont care and go for the performance. one of the main reasons why i bought the headers was so i could get rid of those boat anchors you were talking about, i figured shiny + loosing 20lbs it was worth the money.

so the gasket that comes with the headers is good or should i reuse the old gasket?

is it possible to do the installation without lifting the car? if i could work just on the sides that would be great.

i appreciate the response at midnight ohhitskb lol

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
you might be able to. the 4 bolts(studs) on the cast iron securing the cats might be pressed into the manifolds, so theres 4 rusty nuts to deal with. i went underneath with a couple long extensions and a swivel on my impact and zapped them off in a couple minutes. when 05horse did his, he had to cut those studs off to drop the cats.

i used the thicker gaskets that came with them, but nicepony was saying the thin metal gaskets are actually better so i dont know. but he went with some pricy headers too. i would say since they are inexpensive headers, go with the thicker ones.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool thanks guys everyone. every time i have a question its gets answered here. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok i had a shop install the headers. they had to modify them a little bit because there was few extra holes for the screws. i still haven't tuned the headers with my current setup. now with my full exhaust the sound is definitely improved and slight hp improvement. here are a couple pics

Attachments

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ok i had a shop install the headers. they had to modify them a little bit because there was few extra holes for the screws. i still haven't tuned the headers with my current setup. now with my full exhaust the sound is definitely improved and slight hp improvement. here are a couple pics
your never gonna get your backyard, shadetree mechanics certification if you take it in to have it done :winks

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
haha i know but i didnt have any jack stands . my next mod is a tool set with jack stands :gringreen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts