Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a MAC catback today (I've got a 98GT Vert -- totally stock -- I put on a 2.5" catback with 3.5" stainless rolled tips).

I installed it using jackstands at the body lift points (axle hanging unloaded). The driver's side seemed to align nicely with lots of clearance around everything (driveshaft, chassis, gas tank cover) along with the tip being aligned nicely.

The passenger side was a ***** to align. It was either too close to the driveshaft or too close to the gas tank cover (touching even). I did the best I could to get clearances.

When I went on the test drive (about 50 miles), I heard what sounded like some rattling which I could feel in the emergency brake and on the floorboards which makes me thinks one or both of the muffs are bumping against the chassis. I've heard of issues with alignment/rattling with the MAC stuff so I wasn't surprised (first mod I've done to my car and I'm obviously not an SAE certified mechanic when it comes to **** like this).

I'm gonna put it up on ramps tomorrow so I can see what's going on with the axle in the normal, loaded position. Maybe the connections loosened up.

Anybody had issues with this before? I know MOST people tend to go Flow but I wanted MAC for some reason. I'm very happy with the sound just need to do some tweaking of the alignment stuff.

Just curious if anyone has insight before I go investigating tomorrow.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Are the hangers still tight? Sometimes they get loose and the hinges slide out.

Just a thought.

Great purchase though! I love the mac sound. Get a prochamber or a catless H-pipe and really freak people out;)

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jasons99gt said:
Are the hangers still tight? Sometimes they get loose and the hinges slide out.

Just a thought.

Great purchase though! I love the mac sound. Get a prochamber or a catless H-pipe and really freak people out;)

Later,
Jason
Hangers are okay.

I'm gonna drop my car off at Auto-Tech tomorrow morning and have them check everything on one of their lifts. I'm sure they can align it quickly (they are a MAC dealer).

And I am pleased with the MAC sound as well. It seems like it gets better as I drive the car more. Maybe eventually I'll go with and H mod, but I'm probably gonna enjoy the way it is for awhile. To me, it's not just "another Mustang with Flows".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.