Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm putting on an MAC single axle back exhaust this weekend. i'll let you know how it sounds compared to stock. i've been researching quite a bit and decided to go with MAC. i have a V6 and don't want anything even CLOSE to sounding like a fart tip. i've read that the MAC is a nice, deep tone. i'll let you all know next week...

"You seem like a decent fellow. I hate to kill you."

"YOU seem like a decent fellow. I hate to die."

·
Registered
90 Posts
i've been thinking about upgrading my exhaust as well but not sure which direction to take. let me know how it turns out man.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am also planning to put a MAC axelback exhaust on my V6 soon. Just waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Let you know how it is when I install it. Also I'm planning to get K&N AirCharger Kit for the V6, but unfortunately is so new it doesn't sell at most places.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MAC installed...

so i slapped the MAC exhaust on Friday night. it took me a while to get that stock muffler off. man, is it heavy compared to the MAC! the stock also has a weight attached to it to make it even more stable - and heavier. but once it was off, the MAC went on without a problem. it's much smaller and lighter, so getting to the bolts was easier. but it's also much better looking. the stainless steel shines really well and the tip is very visible.

okay, my impression once i turned her on? effing unbelievable! i was jumping in the air doing backflips when i heard that thing roar to life. for a sixer, it sounds amazing. it's no dual exhaust GT, but i was extremely pleased. but a warning - it's really LOUD! it resonates big time between 2500-3000 RPM, so get ready. i drove through downtown with a lot of people walking around and many a head turned wondering what the hell was shaking their fillings. and i don't think it sounds like a fart tip. if you put this thing on a four banger, it would sound pretty weak. but the sixer gives it enough oomph to surpass the ricer sound. now, i haven't heard any other aftermarket exhausts, but i couldn't expect anything to sound better than the MAC. highly recommended. if you have any questions about it, drop a post and i'll help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
blackhawk,
So you have a cold air intake system or is this sound coming from the stock airbox?

Is it annoyingly loud? or just loud?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just have the drop-in K&N air filter in the stock box. i haven't found an induction system i'm happy with yet. the sound is much louder than the stock muffler and is really low. it gets pretty loud though around 3000 RPM. that seems to be pretty standard on the aftermarkets unless you go with the more expensive flowmasters or something. i think it sounds great, but i'm going to get more opinions from my friends soon. i don't think it's TOO loud. my girlfriend and i drove around a lot over the weekend with the windows down. she kept commenting that it was pretty loud, but sounded good. we could still talk and listen to music. if you do it, just be prepared for a totally different sound than the stock. quiet it is not.

also- when doing the install, take off the brackets with the old muffer before pulling it. don't try to wrestle the thing out of the brackets while it's still attached to the car. i couldn't get it to work. you'll save yourself a lot of time by taking the whole thing off at first. just pull the brackets off the old one and slip them on the new. it's also pretty tight in there with the big stock muffler. but mounting the new one on is a snap because it's smaller.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got the GT muffler, but have been thinking about hitting the wife up for MAC or Magnaflow for the holidays. Though it may be a bit too loud for me.

As for a CAI, I'm waiting for the AFE.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Got any sound clips of the MAC on your car? I've been back and forth between the Dual Mac's or the Dual JBA's. Have not heard any clips for the MAC's yet though.
Ohh and here is the CAI I'm going with unless something better comes out by the time I get the cash together. http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05v6aem.htm

·
Registered
25 Posts
mac installed

Finally got my MAC and installed. Wow the sound is nice.... Deep tone with some crackly sound at deceleration. Definately one of the nicest exhaust sound I've heard. Money well spent. I would post some sound clip but don't know how. Show me how to and I will post it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts