Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 V6 mustang and i am debating on getting either a Mac exhaust or flowmaster 40 with a tip axleback exhaust. I am also wanting to keep it a single exhaust i just dont feel like cutting my bumper or buying a gt bumper. So can you give me your opinion on which i should get?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a dual MAC catback on my 2004 V6 and it sounds great. A nice deep rumble for a V6. Of course it's not a V8 sound, but it's the closest to it that I've heard from a V6. I know I'm expected to say that cause it's my car, but in all honestly, it really is. I haven't heard a flowmaster on a V6, but I've heard the air flow on the flowmasters aren't exactly spectacular.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Either will flow more than enough for a V-6 Who says Flowmasters dont flow well?

But anyway, You gotta go dual.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have the single MAC boomtube. it sounds great especially after its broken in.

IMO the flowmasters dont sound to good on the v6, just sounds to "canny" to me.

Also if you stay with single exhaust you will have a lot less backfire or popping noises like a lot of dual set ups.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i have dual MAC exhaust and i love the sound. I am always getting compliments on it. I think flowmaster is a great brand but i only have heard them on youtube on the 4.0 Also the flows are more expensive.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another question if I went ahead and bought a single mac axleback exhaust and in the future I wanted to get dials would I have to buy just one more mac or buy a whole new kit?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Another question if I went ahead and bought a single mac axleback exhaust and in the future I wanted to get dials would I have to buy just one more mac or buy a whole new kit?
You would have an extra muffler on hand unless you bought another single and the mid pipes, respectively, separately.

If you're debating whether you'll ever go dual, go dual. I plan to stay single - very happy with my Pypes single axle-back - and no future forced induction plans. The Pypes is a 4" like the one in the link. It has a nice V6 tone, turns heads on startup. Headers compliment it very nicely and it's never waspy like some V6s with X pipes running into duals.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You would have an extra muffler on hand unless you bought another single and the mid pipes, respectively, separately.

If you're debating whether you'll ever go dual, go dual. I plan to stay single - very happy with my Pypes single axle-back - and no future forced induction plans. The Pypes is a 4" like the one in the link. It has a nice V6 tone, turns heads on startup. Headers compliment it very nicely and it's never waspy like some V6s with X pipes running into duals.
Alright I'm not debating on going with duals I just thought maybe in the near future I would maybe want them. But I think I want to stay with a single just to keep the v6 feel and not have people call me a poser. Is thr drone bad on the mac?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
for me i heard alot of ppl talking about flowmaster or MAC

i went GT500 and i love the sound and i just have one on so far and i love it

if u had to choose between flowmaster and MAC i say flowmaster i have heard good reviews from it

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for me i heard alot of ppl talking about flowmaster or MAC

i went GT500 and i love the sound and i just have one on so far and i love it

if u had to choose between flowmaster and MAC i say flowmaster i have heard good reviews from it
How much did your setup cost and what did it come with??

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
How much did your setup cost and what did it come with??

got the mufflers off of ebay for 53 and installed the right one by my self and than going to get the left side done by a muffler shop

so total about 200

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The boomtube is different than the one you must be looking at. im not sure on the difference but this is the one i have

Boom Tube Axle-Back 2005-09 Mustang V6 - BT2566

Best bet is to look on youtube videos, but they never seem to be the best representation though. Also ninosport.com has a good selection of mufflers thats where i got mine.
Yeah I've watched dozens of YouTube videos but they always don't get the best quality , from what I've heard I think I am going to go with the mac axleback

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hopefully you did not buy the MAC yet dude. I bought the MAC axleback when I first bought my car. Sounded good on YouTube so I went for it.

It was the first time I was ever extremely disappointed in a mod. It sounds horrible, and the drone in the car will make you want to kill yourself. Its a real hollow, deep tone with no guts. Believe me, I wanted a loud, v-8 type exhaust, but the MAC was a terrible, terrible choice.

I'll admit from inside the car, at idle it did sound alright. But it was just awful at any other time, ESPECIALLY while driving.

I was so pissed, i went for the tried and true GT takeoff mufflers and was super happy. It's not loud, but a nice quality sound. Plus it sounds good when you open it up. And my friends liked riding in the car with me again.:yelpleased:

I can't vouch for the boomtubes, but if your considering the MAC axleback, I would strongly advise against it!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hopefully you did not buy the MAC yet dude. I bought the MAC axleback when I first bought my car. Sounded good on YouTube so I went for it.

It was the first time I was ever extremely disappointed in a mod. It sounds horrible, and the drone in the car will make you want to kill yourself. Its a real hollow, deep tone with no guts. Believe me, I wanted a loud, v-8 type exhaust, but the MAC was a terrible, terrible choice.

I'll admit from inside the car, at idle it did sound alright. But it was just awful at any other time, ESPECIALLY while driving.

I was so pissed, i went for the tried and true GT takeoff mufflers and was super happy. It's not loud, but a nice quality sound. Plus it sounds good when you open it up. And my friends liked riding in the car with me again.:yelpleased:

I can't vouch for the boomtubes, but if your considering the MAC axleback, I would strongly advise against it!!
Thanks for the advice I haven't bought it yet because i just dropped alot of money into a roush hoodscoop and side louvers. I don't really want to use a gt muffler because I'm going with a single. I'm guessing you have duals?? And that's why it sounds good but i think I might the flowmasters do you known much about them??

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Thanks for the advice I haven't bought it yet because i just dropped alot of money into a roush hoodscoop and side louvers. I don't really want to use a gt muffler because I'm going with a single. I'm guessing you have duals?? And that's why it sounds good but i think I might the flowmasters do you known much about them??
for 2 weeks i had one GT500 muffler on and it sounded badass
even just one GT or Gt500 muffler sounds good and its cheaper than flowmaster

·
Registered
137 Posts
I ordered just one MAC axleback online, and they ended up sending me two of them plus the dual exhaust conversion midpipes. I told them about it and they said just keep it!

So, i ended up selling both of them for the price of one because i just wanted to get rid of them, but kept the mid-pipes.

I drove around with just the one gt takeoff for about 6 months until I bought the driver side hangers to hang both. Honestly, the sound is a little louder with duals, but it sounds cool with just the single too.

When I added the CAI and tune, it made my exhaust note lower as well. I'm real happy with it. I've heard problems with the flowmasters droning too though.

I'd say to give it at least a try before you go buying $200+ mufflers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ordered just one MAC axleback online, and they ended up sending me two of them plus the dual exhaust conversion midpipes. I told them about it and they said just keep it!

So, i ended up selling both of them for the price of one because i just wanted to get rid of them, but kept the mid-pipes.

I drove around with just the one gt takeoff for about 6 months until I bought the driver side hangers to hang both. Honestly, the sound is a little louder with duals, but it sounds cool with just the single too.

When I added the CAI and tune, it made my exhaust note lower as well. I'm real happy with it. I've heard problems with the flowmasters droning too though.

I'd say to give it at least a try before you go buying $200+ mufflers.
Dang it sounds like you got a good deal. You should give me thr adress of that website and maybe I'll get lucky lol. But anyways, I think I'll take your advice if the muffler doesn't cost much.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.