Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I decided that instead of cluttering up the forums everytime I had a new question, I would just post, and repost in one thread. If this seems like stepping out of bounds, by all means, the mods are more than welcome to delete it. :)

Okay, question time!

1. I'm retarded... What does WOT mean? I see it all the time on the forums, but I have no clue what it is! :doh:

2. I'm most definitely buying a dual exhaust system for my stang. But! I've read here that anything larger than 2.5in tubes would take all of my torque... and since that seems to be the only thing i have going for me, I don't wanna lose that. Would a 2.25in work better? is it possible? Should I get H pipes? or keep my factory Y pipes? If I want a smooth, but equally sporty sound, what kind of mufflers should I get?

Sorry that I'm completely worthless, but I have run out of places to ask these questions.
Thats all for now, expect more when I come up with them
Thanks for any feedback! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,929 Posts
wot = wide open throttle :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
mac_mogul said:
Hey guys! I decided that instead of cluttering up the forums everytime I had a new question, I would just post, and repost in one thread. If this seems like stepping out of bounds, by all means, the mods are more than welcome to delete it. :)

Okay, question time!

1. I'm retarded... What does WOT mean? I see it all the time on the forums, but I have no clue what it is! :doh:

2. I'm most definitely buying a dual exhaust system for my stang. But! I've read here that anything larger than 2.5in tubes would take all of my torque... and since that seems to be the only thing i have going for me, I don't wanna lose that. Would a 2.25in work better? is it possible? Should I get H pipes? or keep my factory Y pipes? If I want a smooth, but equally sporty sound, what kind of mufflers should I get?

Sorry that I'm completely worthless, but I have run out of places to ask these questions.
Thats all for now, expect more when I come up with them
Thanks for any feedback! :D
2"-2.25 works best for naturally aspirated 6s. Y pipes are fine to around 250+ hp.

H- or X-pipes are recommended for some type of power-adder (Supercharging, Turbocharging or N2O). If you plan on going that route get the 2.5" pipes . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly what I needed to know!
Okay, so here's how it stands for now:
I'll get 2.25in pipes with Flowmasters (found a good deal :D) And some aluminum tips, not chromed... too showy for me.

New questions!

Cosmetic
3. Will an 03 GT rear bumper be a direct install on the V6? Or are the sizes different?
4. Will an 01 Cobra front bumper be a direct install on the V6?

Suspension
5. What is an upgrade kit that will lower the car maybe one inch or less while increasing handling? I can't find any that don't drop me less than 2in :( Granted, that looks cool, and gives you a lower center of gravity, but I'll scrape off half of the street when driving around here :( )

Intake
6. I bought a 60 dollar CAI from ebay, it looks cool, but its a piece of crap... I reinstalled the factory housing and just put in a K&N drop filter for now. I read in Icurle's other post that a plastic molded CAI is better than metal because it doesnt conduct heat like metal does. What is a reputable brand for plastic CAI? I haven't been successful in locating one.


Thanks SO MUCH for any info! You have no idea how much I appreciate it :D
(btw)I thought about it for a minute and I wondered if there is like, a book or something that can give me the basics of how to do install stuff like the suspension mods, etc...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
mac_mogul said:
Exactly what I needed to know!
Okay, so here's how it stands for now:
I'll get 2.25in pipes with Flowmasters (found a good deal :D) And some aluminum tips, not chromed... too showy for me.

New questions!

Cosmetic
3. Will an 03 GT rear bumper be a direct install on the V6? Or are the sizes different?
4. Will an 01 Cobra front bumper be a direct install on the V6?

Suspension
5. What is an upgrade kit that will lower the car maybe one inch or less while increasing handling? I can't find any that don't drop me less than 2in :( Granted, that looks cool, and gives you a lower center of gravity, but I'll scrape off half of the street when driving around here :( )

Intake
6. I bought a 60 dollar CAI from ebay, it looks cool, but its a piece of crap... I reinstalled the factory housing and just put in a K&N drop filter for now. I read in Icurle's other post that a plastic molded CAI is better than metal because it doesnt conduct heat like metal does. What is a reputable brand for plastic CAI? I haven't been successful in locating one.


Thanks SO MUCH for any info! You have no idea how much I appreciate it :D
(btw)I thought about it for a minute and I wondered if there is like, a book or something that can give me the basics of how to do install stuff like the suspension mods, etc...)
Any chassis, body or suspension part from the GT will fit the 6. Bumpers, control arms, swaybars shocks, etc. are all fair game.

lower than a 1.5" drop will make your handling borderline dangerous. you can get another 0.5" drop using Steeda's bumpsteer kit. Ford Racing sells one, Steeda sells several, Kenny Brown, Eibach (through Tire Rack) has a kit, Maximum Motorsports sells a kit, there are several, you just need to figure out how much you want to spend.

For the money, Densechargers are probably the best Induction system.

www.densecharger.com www.demolet.com www.tunableinduction.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I posted in the gase mileage thread and it got me to thinking...

Last week when I filled my tank, premium unleaded (90 octane here) was $3.28 a gal. I had less than a quarter of a tank to begin with. I put $33.50-ish into my car.
Now... That translates to roughly 10-ish gallons...

Is it possible that my car might have a smaller than factory tank? I thought factory size was 15 gal? The tank looks factory. It just doesn't seem to hold 15 gallons.

idk, maybe I'm just paranoid...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
The mustang has a 15.7 (correct me if im wrong) gallon tank. With a quarter tank, that would be a little under 3.75 gallons, and if you put t10 in, then that adds up to almost a full tank.

It could also be that your guage is a bit off in reading the levels so you had more gas than reported. But dont take my word on it... wait for someone like KS or Icurle to voice their opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
ShadowFist said:
The mustang has a 15.7 (correct me if im wrong) gallon tank. With a quarter tank, that would be a little under 3.75 gallons, and if you put t10 in, then that adds up to almost a full tank.

It could also be that your guage is a bit off in reading the levels so you had more gas than reported. But dont take my word on it... wait for someone like KS or Icurle to voice their opinion.
I have no idea!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll ask my dealer if there is a way to maybe recalibrate my guage or something.

New question:
What kind of suspension goodies are on the factory V6 Stang?
And under above normal wear, what is the mileage life of the factory suspension?
We have extremely bad roads around here, and to top it off, I am a, uh, 'spirited' driver :hihi: . To my knowlege, my shocks etc, have never been replaced and I am coming up on 27000miles rather quickly. Should I think about upgrading and exchanging any time soon?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
mac_mogul said:
I'll ask my dealer if there is a way to maybe recalibrate my guage or something.

New question:
What kind of suspension goodies are on the factory V6 Stang?
And under above normal wear, what is the mileage life of the factory suspension?
We have extremely bad roads around here, and to top it off, I am a, uh, 'spirited' driver :hihi: . To my knowlege, my shocks etc, have never been replaced and I am coming up on 27000miles rather quickly. Should I think about upgrading and exchanging any time soon?

Thanks
1) basic & designed for smooth riding characteristics
2) depends on teh component
3) shocks & struts generally go out around 90,000 miles or so. If you push down hard on teh front or rear suspension, and it bounces, you need new shocks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,871 Posts
gas tank is 15.4 gal. yeah if your car bounces around like mine, or has the speed boat effect going for it, time for some new shocks/struts. Also if you push pretty hard on the rear corner of the car, you should see some back and forth motion, this can reflect body roll, in which case you need a sway bar, or if you have one, check the bolts on it. A little wiggle it good, but too much and I forgot where I was going with that one........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mac_mogul said:
Exactly what I needed to know!
Okay, so here's how it stands for now:
I'll get 2.25in pipes with Flowmasters (found a good deal :D) And some aluminum tips, not chromed... too showy for me.
Okay, I ran into a problem. The shop where I was going to have this done has gotten into some sort of financial controversy about taxes (or something, its just something I've heard) But either way, they are closed indefinitely. I'm still planning on getting a dual exhaust put on as a Christmas present from my wonderful father, but I think this is what we're getting...

Picture
Its only 300 bucks and I'm pretty sure I can install it myself.

Its 2.5in and it just connects at the factory Y joint. I'm a little worried that the 2.5 is going to be too big and I'll lose too much backpressure. But will connecting it at the Y joint keep that from happening?

Also, correct me if I'm thinking incorrectly, but will a swaybar from any 99+ GT fit my V6? If so, I think I might have found one. But if not, what is a suggestion for a good rear swaybar? Is there such a thing as a front swaybar? If so, the same questions apply here also.

Thanks so much for your prompt replies guys. It really helps :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
mac_mogul said:
Okay, I ran into a problem. The shop where I was going to have this done has gotten into some sort of financial controversy about taxes (or something, its just something I've heard) But either way, they are closed indefinitely. I'm still planning on getting a dual exhaust put on as a Christmas present from my wonderful father, but I think this is what we're getting...

Picture
Its only 300 bucks and I'm pretty sure I can install it myself.

Its 2.5in and it just connects at the factory Y joint. I'm a little worried that the 2.5 is going to be too big and I'll lose too much backpressure. But will connecting it at the Y joint keep that from happening?

Also, correct me if I'm thinking incorrectly, but will a swaybar from any 99+ GT fit my V6? If so, I think I might have found one. But if not, what is a suggestion for a good rear swaybar? Is there such a thing as a front swaybar? If so, the same questions apply here also.

Thanks so much for your prompt replies guys. It really helps :)

connecting at the factory y-pipe will help, but it's still a little too big. not enough to really worry about . . .

yes, any rear or front swaybar will bolt in.

The best OEM is from a Pre-01 Cobra, but GT's work fine.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top