Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a 1997 Cobra. So far I've installed a 03 Cobra IRS. I'm currently working on the drive train. I have 03 cobra heads and intake, coil on plug, and installing a 4r70w transmission, long block is being rebuilt. I have a lead on 03 mach 1 computer and harness for 300 dollars. I haven't found anything in my search to find info on using this computer in the 97 cobra and curious if anyone here has done this. I have looked into a stand alone transmission controller and have a feeling it will be easier to just spend the extra coin on the baumann controller. thanks in advance

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
it will work, the PATS will be a challenge, I think you need all 3 wiring harnesses to make it work..probably better/cheaper just to use the stock one/ignition and get a custom tune...TCI makes a great stand alone controller with paddle shifters, I have one on my 427 car...good luck

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I'm confused how this will work. The 97 Cobra has coil pack ignition. The 03 Mach 1 has COP ignition for starters. Then onto the differences in sensor packages between the Model years. Return fuel vs return-less.

There are other huge differences in the body wiring harness between the two model years.

So I don't see how an 03 PCM will work in a 97 unless the body wiring harness is transplanted as well. Which this brings up a whole new set of "issues".

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
yeah, from what I know all the harnesses have to be replaced, an expensive proposition, just keep the stock ECU/plugs, get a nice SCT tune

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I suspected I would have to change/transplant engine body and dash wiring. I wasn't initially sure if I could bypass the pats and just repin the mach harness. Well stand alone it is. I will look into the tci version I was unaware they had one thank you 2manystangs. Just as fyi since wmburns brought it up, I purchased the Cobra from a friend after the motor was damaged. He installed a coil on plug adapter harness valve covers and coils along with the 03 Cobra heads and intake. To make that work he bought fuel rails and modified the fuel rails to work for the return style system. Thanks again guys.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I've heard that adapater harness is BS...get it stock, add boost a spark, it will run great, I have no issues with mine even with full boost

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Go with the stand alone to shift your tranny. That's what i'm doing since i'm swapping a 4R70W in my Cobra.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go with the stand alone to shift your tranny. That's what i'm doing since i'm swapping a 4R70W in my Cobra.
Its looking like its going to be easier to go with a stand along computer for the transmission. Part of me wants to install the mach pcm and harness to prove I can. The sensible part of me says install the stand alone and be done with it. I figure its going to cost me about the same by the time I'm done wiring the mach pcm up and 10 times the amount of time. Just not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Part of me wants to install the mach pcm and harness to prove I can.
IMO, a FULL set of Ford wiring diagram is a MUST. Something that allows for easy comparision between the different connectors and circuit flow.

If interested in getting a 96-02 model year set for yourself, I maybe able to help. PM if interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts