Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Im New Here And Have A Question About My 04 Comp. Orange Mach1.
Recently I Have Found About Once A Week, On Startup, It Blows A Large Cloud Of Oil Smoke. After That One Cloud It Runs Clean For About Another Week. Has Any One Heard Of This Prob?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Wild guess

Wild guess...

Valve seal problem. A little oil might be pooling in there. Could also be a lot of other things, none of them good. Get thee to your dealer and start a paper trail on this immediately. And let us know what they say.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smoking

I Did Bring It To The Dealer About The Prob. And They Changed The Valve Covers And The Pcv System. They Did Say That The Car Was Brought In By The Previous Owner For The Same Prob. And They Could Not Find Anything Wrong With It. Looks Like They Will See It Quite Often Until The Prob Is Fixed

·
Registered
32 Posts
im not sure about the valve seal theory in my experiance usually if its a bad valve seal it happens on every start up that the vehicle has been sitting for a few hrs?? i could be wrong though.. is there any pattern to this like do you drive it then restart it or are we talkin a cold start? how often do you drive it is it started every day?if it only smokes on a cold start up and you only start the car that once a week that you say it smokes than i would deff say look into valve seals but if you drive it all the time and it only smokes when it feels like it i have no idea

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smoking

It Is A Everyday Driver, And There Is No Pattern To The Prob. It Has Smoked After Sitting For 1 Hour, Sitting Overnight, Sitting At A Incline, Decline, And Level, But Only On Startup.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Dohc

DOHC heads are different beasts - with 32 valves, the odds that one is cracked. loose (a "floater") or simply leaking are increased just from the standpoint of having twice as many of everything. As for a sporadic problem, the positions of the 32 valves is rarely the same when you shut it down - 4 cams are making sure of that. The leaking valve being open at shut down to allow the pooling of oil would therefore be happening about half the time, at most. Combine this with the fact that the seal may only leak some of the time. If it's loose and squirming around, it may often seal at rest, even though it doubtless leaks other times and assuredly while the motor is operating.

About the only way to be sure of the solution is to remove the heads - which the dealer obviously doesn't want to do. Next trip to the dealer, be firm that they MUST fix the problem, or you'll have no choice but to complain to the regional Ford rep.

Has the dealer run a compression test on the motor? That would at least tell us if the bottom end is as it should be. If it turns out to be a vacuum-related issue, fine, but they seem to have already tried that fix...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Agree w/3Black & others - time to start well-kept paper trail and call regional service manager; car should NOT be doing this and it will NOT fix itself. Doubt that you want whatever repairs are necessary to come out of your pocket later.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
holy cow dude, I would never have thought about that one. I must bow now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.