Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the deck and front door speakers in my 2004 (both Kenwood) and now the door speakers cut out if the volume gets too high. The replacement speakers are 80w and the stock system is a Mach 460. I talked to an audio tech about it and he suggested that the speakers are drawing too much power out of my amps. I was curious if I could bypass the amp for the front and rewire it to the back speakers or if I should just replace the amps all together.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I recently replaced the deck and front door speakers in my 2004 (both Kenwood) and now the door speakers cut out if the volume gets too high. The replacement speakers are 80w and the stock system is a Mach 460. I talked to an audio tech about it and he suggested that the speakers are drawing too much power out of my amps. I was curious if I could bypass the amp for the front and rewire it to the back speakers or if I should just replace the amps all together.
Huh, now that's weird... I just replaced my deck and front door speakers with a Sony Xplod deck, jensen speakers, and I also put in 2 12" subs with a 1200W Sony Xplod amp. Everything works fine. But by the sound of it... your amps aren't able to hold up. You could replace them, or you could just go out to walmart and buy an extra 300W amp and wire it to the deck. But I'm no pro so I might be wrong, I'm sorry if I am.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you hook up the Xplode to the subs only, or through the rest of the system, and how much power are the Jensens pulling?

·
Registered
132 Posts
The xlpod is fully wired using the factory wiring spliced into the xplod wiring harness. All speakers work fine.

Edit: they pull 40w I believe but im not sure.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
The Mach 460 and Mach 1000 systems use low-pass and high-pass filters in the pre-amp stage. If a high-pass filter is not used to pretect the tweeters, then the bass low frequencies will go to the tweeters and overload them.

The Mach system is different than most any other system in that regard which is why it is so much more difficult to retro fit. This is the other reason that most ppl will recommend replacing the entire system.

It helps once you understand the significance of high-pass/low-pass filtering before the amps, the problem may be easier to understand.

Any after market system should have this same option enabled to work best with the Mach amps.

This could also be a case of mixing different Ohm rated speakers. IE, mixing 2 Ohm speakers with 4 Ohm speakers. Or using speakers that are lower Ohms than what the amp is designed for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts