Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm giving this another try on the forum here.
Below is a post I had put up a few weeks back and I still have not had any luck getting the problem fixed,so read on ....

Pulled my Mach out of the garage,its always hard to keep running at first (no choke on it).
I get it backed out go to turn it off,turn the key(to off position) it doesnt stop running,I dont mean it deiseled,it just kept running,after a couple seconds it stalled anyway.I leave it at that while I do some other stuff.
OK,I go to pull it back in a few hours later turn the key to start it...nothin'.I mean its like the battery isnt even hooked up. Try another battery ...nothin,. Replace solenoid and voltage reg....nothin'.Tried jumpin the solenoid,it turned over but after a couple tries at that,that didnt work anymore(weakened the battery to much maybe).
And I have no lights either.
One fuse was blown(courtesy lights) replaced that.tried to find a "fusible link,found what appears to be where one was at one time but had been eliminated.It was in the harness about 12'' from the solenoid.
I chcked all the grounds that I could find,but I dont know how many there are really.
Im guessing ignition switch but thats ONLY a guess
Any and all help would be appreciated.

O.K.,since then I have replaced the ignition switch...no go:(
So I kept looking for bad or loose connections,engine to frame and the battery ground were tight,but I did find the cable to the starter was loose(the post threads were stripped and so had the post replaced).Put the starter back in tonight and still have nothin:sosad:.
I can jump the solenoid and the engine turns over but without the electric fuel pump(after market) working it wont start.
I am really out of ideas,there has to be a simple thing I am overlooking but I dont have a clue.I dont have any electrical testing equipment so its making this tough to figure out.I might have a friend of a friend take a look,he has some of those gadgets.But in the meantimeI thought I would see if anyone else here might have an idea.
I have P.M.ed a couple of the Mustang gurus on this forum and they are helping me,PrintDad sent me electrical schematics and I'm trying to see if I can possibly find anothe ground I might have missed.
Anyway, just thought I would throw this out to the rest of you folks. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
This shouldn't be hard, what year is your Mach? and what motor?, take a voltmeter, put the neg lead on the engine, use the positive lead and poke it thru the insulation on every wire on the battery side of the solonoid and see if you have battery voltage on each one, it sounds like the ground to the body is missing or bad this is different for some years use the voltmeter between the neg battery post and the body, turn on a load like the lights or radio, the meter should read almost nothing, anything thing above a 1/4 volt is probably too much. Try running a wire from the block to the body say 6 to 8 gauge and see what happens. Post your results. Good Luck.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Rex1965, I'll guess I'll be buying a voltmeter and checking that out.
I will also do the grounding wire trick. Will an 8 gauge wire be heavy enough?
BTW ,the Mach is a 1970 with a 351 W.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I think 8 ga should be okay, if anything it will tell if it is a ground issue, I believe the body ground is next to the battery it is a metal tab on the negative cable that is screwed to the wheel well.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
make sure the bolt in the middle of the fuse box is securely tightened, its a chassi ground.
run your 6-8 Ga. from one of the shock tower bolts to the engine block - remove any paint before landing your ground strap. Make sure its properly crimped and soldered as well if possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.