Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all
New member here with a problem unique to the Mach1 and Cobra.

I have a fuel system code that has lead to the discovery that the fuel pressure switch is bad.
Not a huge deal, right? Well, not exactly.
This part is ‘obsolete’, it isn’t the same one used on the GT, which is still widely available, and I have been unable to find one second

hand anywhere.
The car runs fine otherwise but the ‘check engine’ light is always on, not ideal.
So, has anyone found a source for this switch and/or any sort of work around?
This is the part number: XR3Z 9B 190 AB

Please do let me know if you have a solution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you,sir, for the reply. Unfortunately that doesn’t appear to be what I’m in search of.

this is what I took off of the car. I did find what appear, at least physically, match this but they were for Lincoln marquee and jaguar.
I don’t know the system well enough to make any sort of seat of the pants cross reference.

Thanks again for responding to the post, I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
What year? And can you post more pics of the switch on all sides?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ok. Thanks. Is this located in the engine bay or in the rear with the fuel tank?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ok. I found this forum thread where the OP is pointing out the difference between a '03 Cobra/ '99 GT fuel tank. On the 4th pic down he points the differences between what he is calling "canister sensor". I'm assuming this part of the epavorative re-circulation system (emissions) not fuel pressure. The part looks similar to what you've posted. With the switch having a "molded" tube on one side and crimp clamp on the other, I'm thinking this is going to be an "assembly" type item.

03 Cobra fuel tank vs. 99+ fuel tank - A comparison with pictures and notes - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can’t get the link to open, will keep trying, in the mean time...yes, this is the evaporative system side, the EVAP fuel tank pressure sensor. And, yes, I agree, I believe it would be an assembly of the switch and the two lines.

Also, yes, it’s in the rear, on top of the tank.

Got the link opened.
Yes, mine looks like the 03, which makes sense as it’s my understanding that they are the same sensor.
can it be the Ford made a sensor for just these cars alone? If that’s the case I’m surprised I haven’t been able to find anyone else in the same boat as I currently find myself. Looking for a way around an obsolete part.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Give the folks at Tasca Parts a call. Have you VIN# ready. They've helped me in the past trying to find parts and cross-referencing part#'s. FWIW, I did find a Dorman kit, but not sure if it will work on the Mach 1. They show several alt#'s you can google each one and see it calls up a reference to the Mach 1.

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called Tasca today and they came to the same dead end everyone else has. Discontinued and obsolete with no cross reference.
ive run the numbers from Dorman and that also leads me nowhere.

Its funny, I could always find whatever I needed for my 69 Mach, no problem at all, and that was 35 years after production.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If I understand the guy that made the post about the fuel tanks, it sounds to me the GT version will work but you'll have to change the connector to to the GT style (size). Or another idea is to open up the bad one and see if the contacts just need to be cleaned. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, I'm sure a compentant local electronics technician could do it. Maybe someone at LMR or CJ Pony Parts has had to replace this sensor.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ok. Might have just cross-referenced the Dorman kit via National Parts Depot.
They show it for all Mustang models '99-04. In the vehicle application section they show part# 1U5A-9C052-CC. I took this part# and searched it on Rock Auto. Rock Auto shows the Dorman kit. I suspect you'll need to cut and splice in the provided connector. Rock Auto also provides a Dorman produced install video.
If it were me, I'd give it shot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, very interesting indeed.
I spent way too much time on the phone this afternoon talking with just about anyone who I thought might have an idea.
afyer reading your previous post, to the two above, I started looking for GT parts....just about as rare as the Mach1 parts

Now I see what you are talking about with the Dorman, I think this has some real promise.

I’ll order this and report back.

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the time/energy you’ve put into helping me chase this down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just put the order in for the Dorman 911260.
I went to the doorman site and it appears this , according to Dorman, does not match The GT application. However, I see what you mean about the national Parts site matching up with what rock auto shows. I’m not sure how to rectify that in my own mind I just know that this is making my head spin.
Anyway, could it be that Doorman just didn’t have a complete list for all the cross references?

·
Registered
554 Posts
They may not have tested it for all makes/models.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You’re probably right, I didn’t think of that.
If this works it could solve this problem for many. I’ve come across many posts now where individuals are in the same boat, resorting to scouring wrecking yards, buying whole tanks and the like.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts