·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BBK 70mm throttle body
FRPP 8.8" 3.73 ratio Rear End:gringreen
Screamin Demon Coils
NGK spark plugs
BAMA tuner 87 & 91 (i cant find 93 around me)
BBK shorty headers (id rather have long tube, looking into it)
Most likely Magnaflow dual exhaust with X pipes
White le mans stripes

What are you opinions on the list so far? And what order would you do the mods in?

I already have a CAI that i really like.:shiny:

Also money is a factor, is there any cheaper alternatives for any of these more expensive pieces?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well I would reconsider not ordering these parts, and using the money you would have spent on them, on something else. The throttle body, and screamin demon coils are controversial as to well you will get any gains(minimal at best). I can't say from personal experience but just search the forum. Some people do see some gain, but you could get more gains from something else. Not trying to offend anyone with them, I don't have them, I'm just giving the best advice I can, from what others who do have them have said. I guess you could get the new spark plugs, I just wouldn't, unless mine needed replacing.

BBK 70mm throttle body
Screamin Demon Coils
NGK spark plugs

I'm not entirely sure about the shorty headers. I was looking into new headers and most people said that the shorty headers that come stock breathe really good.

BBK shorty headers

BAMA tuners are GREAT! You will love it.
I love my X-pipes, but some people dont like the sound :( I have heard great things about the magnaflow dual exhaust. A cheaper alternative would be a NTO dual exhaust. I'm not sure if newtakeoff.com still sells it, but look around on the net. :bigthumbsup

Hope I could help!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you matt! I guess I'll go with the exhaust, then the tuner, and then do some work on the looks while i research more on the TB and coils. Im not too picky on the sound, as long as it sounds more beasty and isnt completely crappy/ricey.:)

G

·
This is the mod list you propose:

BBK 70mm throttle body - $310
Screamen Demon Coil - $90
Tuner - $380
Magnaflow dual exhaust - $593
Total - $1373

For a lower price, I propose the following:

Magnaflow single exhaust - $326
GT front rotors - $130
Hawk HPS front pads - $90
J&M steel front brake lines - $139
Strut tower brace - $156
Sequential tail lights - $120
Tuner - $380
Total - $1341

I left the 8.8" out, of course, as the price can vary considerably on that item. It's a solid mod, though, so consider it a part of both lists.

Spark plugs are pretty meh, do it as part of a tune-up. This really doesn't count as a mod.

Don't get the SD Coil without getting upgraded wires to go along with them. The two go hand in hand, and either by itself is a waste.

Dual exhaust is also a waste on your car, given the modding path you've chosen. Duals are only of use on FI cars putting out 300+ hp. You've said you don't care much about sound, so that's out. It looks better, of course, so you can get it for that reason. Note that in your case, it will be your only valid reason, though. Are you willing to pay double for that? It's a decent visual mod, so you'll have to answer this for yourself.

·
Registered
231 Posts
BBK 70mm throttle body
FRPP 8.8" 3.73 ratio Rear End:gringreen
Screamin Demon Coils
NGK spark plugs
BAMA tuner 87 & 91 (i cant find 93 around me)
BBK shorty headers (id rather have long tube, looking into it)
Most likely Magnaflow dual exhaust with X pipes
White le mans stripes

What are you opinions on the list so far? And what order would you do the mods in?

I already have a CAI that i really like.:shiny:

Also money is a factor, is there any cheaper alternatives for any of these more expensive pieces?
I agree on the what the other poster said about the throttle body. A lot of mixed reviews. I don't know what your main goal is but if you're thinking F/I then avoid your throttle body.
I've heard a few people say the demon coils added power but on the opposite side I have heard A LOT of people saying they are crap. Avoid at all costs.
Spark plugs on your car should stay stock until you need a tune up unless you are upgrading to any form of F/I. After all, those things work just fine and will continue to work even if you got all the mods on your list.
GO WITH THE BAMA TUNE FIRST! If you like you CAI then go a combo kit with gears. If manual, go 3.73, if auto go 4.10. Its that simple. You are going to love this mod more than most. And reallllllly look for 93. It'll make the extra gas it takes to find it worth it cause you'll get a fun drive
Avoid shorty headers seeing as they do not add any more than 4 hp to your car. Go with either kooks(expensive) or pacesetter(cheap but can erode after a few years) long tube headers. You will need to get your cats changed to highflow and since the pipes are that much longer now you will need some welding done.
The best exhaust for us v6ers is the borla x pipe exhaust. It has the lowest rumble and provides the most power IMO. Magnaflow would be alright if you had a gt.
Stay away from the le mans unless you are 100% certain you are going to keep you hood, not going to add a body kit or a spoiler etc.

The tuner and gear combo will cost about $600 for about 30hp
My FULL exhaust from the headers to the muffler cost: $200 for headers for maybe 20hp and 2-5 more mpg depending on how you drive, $800 for borla xpipe and muffler for 30-50hp and +$300 for installation of headers and $50 for installation of borla pipes (the shop I get my car worked on at was installing my body kit and painting it as well so he offered a cheap price for the install)

Excluding my body kit, CAI, and NOs, my car totals to be $1350 for approx. 100 more hp with those numbers being exxagerated. Now that isn't what I get to the wheels since I have a stock suspension and rear end plus I do only have one spinning tire:weeps

HOPE this helps OP! Good luck killing that modding bug you caught btw :winks

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have the Magnaflo dual exhaust with the X pipe it sounds sweet plus the addition hp is a nice bonus. If you can afford them get them they're nice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input!

first off exhaust- i was really looking forward to maybe x pipes(for most power) and possibly throwing some GT takeoffs on them? But the single exhaust doesnt sound like a bad idea at all because its simple, easier to put on, and fits with the bumper.:bigthumbsup

With the decals im sure im going to keep the body the same except for maybe some louvers. Im also thinking about putting a bigger spoiler on since mine does sit really low. but in that case i could just put the decals underneath the spoiler.

im afraid i cant go to a 4.10 ratio. from what i heard its just too much and my driving will be split 50/50 between highway and city so i dont want to lose all the mpg on the highway.

do any of you know any good wires to go with the coils?

the spark plugs i might just do if im bored and dont have much money.:yelwacko:

·
Registered
54 Posts
def go exhaust or tuner first!! i'm still tryin to save up for my tuner/cai combo. can't wait til i do get it.:winks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts