Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1988 GT and it seems to have a lack of power above 3000rpm and an idle problem when first fired up after acouple of minutes it goes away. The engine is a 302 bored .030 over with GT-40 heads (or so the guy says) cobra upper and lower intake, cobra maf and 75mm throttlebody and a F303 cam it also has a nice set of equal length shorty headers and flowmasters. It has been converted from speed density and is running 19lb injectors. Any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
dude;with a 75mm tb your gonna need 24lb inj for anyhting above 3000! regarding the idle,well you will need to remove and clean the iac.

·
Registered
62 Posts
murdock2112 said:
I recently purchased a 1988 GT and it seems to have a lack of power above 3000rpm and an idle problem when first fired up after acouple of minutes it goes away. The engine is a 302 bored .030 over with GT-40 heads (or so the guy says) cobra upper and lower intake, cobra maf and 75mm throttlebody and a F303 cam it also has a nice set of equal length shorty headers and flowmasters. It has been converted from speed density and is running 19lb injectors. Any suggestions? thanks
That setup sounds pretty similar to mine, except I don't have the MAF, cam, or overbore.

However, I can say that my setup has no problem revving to 6000RPM on the stock 19lb injectors and fuel pump.

Does it only have trouble at the higher RPMs under load, or does it also have problems in neutral?

If it only had trouble under load, then I'd say that inadequete fuel pressure is a possibility.

If it has trouble revving in neutral too, then I would think of things like worn valvesprings (especially with that cam), and the ignition system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its only while under load. Its also having trouble starting after its hot. Starts alittle slugish while cold and was warm wont start back up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.