Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new here. Got a quick question here, I have a '98 cobra, and whenever I have it in gear and stomp on it, it accelerates pretty nice up until about 4k rpm, after which it acts like the rear end is slipping on some ice, just mostly stops pulling and sits there at around 4-5K...my question is does this sound like the clutch is slipping? I replaced it with a 11" conversion last spring, and have been pretty easy on it, I have a manual clutch cable that needs to be adjusted a bit, but that is it. Could this be a rear main seal leak? or do you think it's the clutch thats worn, any way to tell? Also, the T45 is pretty old with about 125k on it, could the trans be slipping? I've never heard of a manual to slip, but is this possible? Any help here is apreciated!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Clutch is slipping. Do you see oil dripping off the bell housing. Was your seal leaking when you replaced the clutch. Try taking off in 3rd gear from a stop which the engine is not turning that much rpm and see if the clutch will grab. If it grabs then you probably do have oil splashing at higher rpms on the flywheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rear seal was fine when I replaced the clutch this spring. the engine has 120K on it. the clutch grabs fine at low rpm, but slips @ 4K...I also smell a bit of burned oil but just a hint whenever I get out of the car and park it...but I checked the bell housing and I see no leaks there...I did look inside the bellhousing when I adjusted my clutchcable, and it was kinda black inside, may have been dust, but looked like burned matter...not sure, but I just picked up a new trans, so I'll prolly have to take everything apart anyways...thanks, any thoughts appreciated...

·
Registered
34 Posts
TRUBLU98 said:
Hi guys, new here. Got a quick question here, I have a '98 cobra, and whenever I have it in gear and stomp on it, it accelerates pretty nice up until about 4k rpm, after which it acts like the rear end is slipping on some ice, just mostly stops pulling and sits there at around 4-5K...my question is does this sound like the clutch is slipping? I replaced it with a 11" conversion last spring, and have been pretty easy on it, I have a manual clutch cable that needs to be adjusted a bit, but that is it. Could this be a rear main seal leak? or do you think it's the clutch thats worn, any way to tell? Also, the T45 is pretty old with about 125k on it, could the trans be slipping? I've never heard of a manual to slip, but is this possible? Any help here is apreciated!
That sounds kinda wierd, because all your torque is at low RPM's up until about 5k RPM. If you try dropping the clutch (aka launching) it should grab almost instantly if your clutch is good. If you drop it and it just freespins then you know you have a glazed clutch. If it doesnt slip until higher RPM's, then you could have oil on it like speedytang said.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.