Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm taxiing through a parking lot this evening, And I hear a grinding noise, and it felt like the brakes were stuck on. That's funny, I thought, I've never seen a Ford seize up a caliper. So I stopped and jacked it up, pulled the wheel, rotor wouldn't turn. Removed the caliper, and the rotor, and figured it out - the balljoint is gone - causing the end of the control arm to protrude through the backing plate and into the rotor. Damn. So I put it back together and went to carefully move the car to a better spot, and: SNAP!!!
So now, my car is 20 miles from home, and incapacitated. I guess I'll ride the bus up there tomorrow, pick up a balljoint, and try to fix the damned thing. It is awfully tempting to call a tow truck and a mechanic. If I do that, it'$ going to the dealer for brand new Ford control arm a$$emblie$. That'$ what a good day I had today... At least she didn't let go on the highway.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Tom

·
Registered
721 Posts
That sucks, man. :sosad: Reminds me of the time I broke my axle at 1:00a.m. at the dragstrip 25 miles from home.

G

·
Screw the dealership man, you've got yourself an excuse for tubular control arms. Might as well put on a new K-member while your there, and some new calipers wouldn't hurt either, maybe some slotted rotors...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
[QUOTE='95.0 stang]Screw the dealership man, you've got yourself an excuse for tubular control arms. Might as well put on a new K-member while your there, and some new calipers wouldn't hurt either, maybe some slotted rotors...[/QUOTE]
i like your style. :yup:

·
Registered
193 Posts
systronic said:
i like your style. :yup:
thats exactly what i did... :winks

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[QUOTE='95.0 stang]Screw the dealership man, you've got yourself an excuse for tubular control arms. Might as well put on a new K-member while your there, and some new calipers wouldn't hurt either, maybe some slotted rotors...[/QUOTE]Hey, maybe if I had your money...:D You're right, WTF was I thinking. Dealer quoted me two to three hundred for one, and around $500 for both sides - just for the ball joints! So I didn't even ask about the new A arm assemblies. A friend of a friend, with his own tow truck, told me $75 per side, but wouldn't be able to do it till next week. So today my poor, cheapass rode the bus out there($1.50), disassembled, got a ride to autozone and back, and installed their lifetime ball joint.
Here's the scary part. My car had pulled to the left, under braking, the whole 2 and a half years and 43000 miles I've had it. I ASSumed that it was a torn A arm bushing, nope. It brakes straight now. Also, it's way easier to steer now. I'd figured the power steering was going out, as it'd been getting harder to steer, and groaning(the pump) more. Goes to show what I know.
Oh well, it's fixed now, for less than five hours(including the bus) and $35.

G

·
meangreen92 said:
Hey, maybe if I had your money...:D You're right, WTF was I thinking. Dealer quoted me two to three hundred for one, and around $500 for both sides - just for the ball joints! So I didn't even ask about the new A arm assemblies. A friend of a friend, with his own tow truck, told me $75 per side, but wouldn't be able to do it till next week. So today my poor, cheapass rode the bus out there($1.50), disassembled, got a ride to autozone and back, and installed their lifetime ball joint.
Here's the scary part. My car had pulled to the left, under braking, the whole 2 and a half years and 43000 miles I've had it. I ASSumed that it was a torn A arm bushing, nope. It brakes straight now. Also, it's way easier to steer now. I'd figured the power steering was going out, as it'd been getting harder to steer, and groaning(the pump) more. Goes to show what I know.
Oh well, it's fixed now, for less than five hours(including the bus) and $35.
No, you don't wish you had my money...because I don't have any. Good job on stumbling upon that solution, usually I'll end up replacing two or three things trying to fix a problem instead of doing it on accident.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I love that.

Car breaks down somewhere, you get pissed and leave it, come back, fix it... good to go, for a hell of a lot cheaper.

That's a stroke of luck that you fixed that braking problem. Mine does the same thing under heavy braking, I've constantly got to oversteer to keep myself straight.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Young_Buck said:
I love that.

Car breaks down somewhere, you get pissed and leave it, come back, fix it... good to go, for a hell of a lot cheaper.

That's a stroke of luck that you fixed that braking problem. Mine does the same thing under heavy braking, I've constantly got to oversteer to keep myself straight.
If you think you've got a balljoint going out, replace it now!!! Other than a tie-rod, that's about the worst piece you could break.
But, it might just be your brakes causing it.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Glad to hear you fixed it. That's not as bad my friend trying to replace his starter than we take a trip then hear metal dragging underneath the car. He pulls over and the damn thing unbolted itself (because he didnt tighten it enough) and was dragging by the cable.

I told him to let me work on his car from that point on.... that's just unacceptable. Outcame every excuse ...

·
Registered
861 Posts
GhostDog 5.0 said:
Glad to hear you fixed it. That's not as bad my friend trying to replace his starter than we take a trip then hear metal dragging underneath the car. He pulls over and the damn thing unbolted itself (because he didnt tighten it enough) and was dragging by the cable.

I told him to let me work on his car from that point on.... that's just unacceptable. Outcame every excuse ...
Wow, yeah.. that is bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.