Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 lx 5.0. I just relaced the cam with an E303, U/L intake and 70mm T/B and 75mm air mass meter. The motor is on TDC, distributor is pointing to #1 on cap and the balancer is on 0. The plugs have gas and I am getting fuel at all times. The wires are in order. I have moved the distrbutor while cranking to see if it will fire. It has tried to fire a couple of times. When I installed the cam the dot on the cam was just barely off of the dot on the crank.let's say if the crank dot was at 12:00 then the cam dot was at 12:03. (just using for an example so you know how close they were) I was told not enough for it not to start. I have checked all wires and vaccum lines. I have even turned the rotor 180 degrees and it did not even try to fire. It is on TDC. The rockers were torqued to 18 ft-lbs and the pump was primed and oil came out of rockers. After cranking so long the motor is flooding out , because I can smell gas. What can it be and what can I do or try? I have been racking my brain all day. Can someone please help me I don't know what to do?

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have a 95gt that i got done rebuilding recently...but i tightened my rockers to 22ft-lbs...my book says anywhere from 19 to 25ft-lbs....don't know if this helps

·
Registered
176 Posts
Pull a plug and check for spark.
Most likely you don't have spark, and if that's true, then start with your distributor to coil to grounds.

I'm still thinking about your 12o'clock indexing.
I've no experience with an alphabet cam and every camshaft I installed whether sbc or sbf has been dot to dot at TDC to start with and degree from there.

In your previous post for the same problem you WROTE you installed the camshaft dot @ 12 o'clock. Which is it? If you installed it then you should know where you indexed it.

G

·
So if your sure your getting fuel pull the number one spark plug its the first one in the front on the pass. side and have someone bump it over till you feel the piston come all the way up then check and make sure the rotor is pointing to number one on the cap not the plug then put the plug back in and pull the wire off a bit and crank it to check if you get spark and the try a volt meter and check your coil and make sure the solenoid on the firewall is still good you could have fried it too hope this helps i just went through ll this a couple weeks ago

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok,

On the crank the dot on the gear was pointed up( I used 12:00 as a reference to where it would point) and the dot on the cam would not line up perfectly( it would be 12:03 on a clock) I don't know about degrees. I just used a clock as a reference so everyone would have some idea that the dots were not that far off. So the crank dot is straight up the cam dot would be just barely to the right of the crank dot. I have fuel , I have good spark. I have it at TDC the rotor points to #1 on cap. When I first start it it tries to fire once and that is it. I have moved the distributor different directions and that doesn't help. So I have been putting it to TDC and trying it in a different place. I even tried starting fluid to see if it would help and fire it up. It tries for a second and that is it. There is no backfireing so it would not be 180 out. Please help me figure this out. When it comes to timing I am not good with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.