Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning the air filter, and decided to clean the throttle body as well.

As I was spraying the body, the straw from the cleaner came off and shot into the intake. :so

I can see it in there, just can't seem to get anything to grab it.

How tough is it to take the intake manifold off?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Do you have the throttle body of yet?

Most likely you could reach it with a flexible three prong "grabber" (not sure what you call 'em).

However, it's not super difficult to take it apart if you need to.

Just don't drop a nut into the head while you're doing it!:gringreen I'm sorry I couldn't resist!!

If it makes you feel any better we once left a red rag in one of the runners on the race car. Reassembled everything fired it up and pieces of red rag come flying out of the exhaust!!:so ( we looked like some real pros):laugh:

Anyways I think if you take the throttle body off you could get to it. If not pulling the manifold isn't all that hard.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I was cleaning the air filter, and decided to clean the throttle body as well.

As I was spraying the body, the straw from the cleaner came off and shot into the intake. :so

I can see it in there, just can't seem to get anything to grab it.

How tough is it to take the intake manifold off?
Just leave it. Its not going anywhere and if it did its plastic anyway. Would melt or get lodged somewhere. Its not likely to cause and issues.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I was able to use a wire coat hanger with some double stick body tape on the end to grab it and got it far enough to the opening that I could use some angle needle nose pliers to grab it.

whew... guess from now on I'll take the TB off when I clean it. It was much easier then anyway. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
...I was going to suggest a Shop-Vac...

·
Registered
412 Posts
If it makes you feel any better we once left a red rag in one of the runners on the race car. Reassembled everything fired it up and pieces of red rag come flying out of the exhaust!! ( we looked like some real pros)

Smooooth.......:nogrinner

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Smooooth.......:nogrinner
Yeah, well we did manage to get it all out. Then went out and made a 7.48 sec pass in the 1/4 at 192 mph.

I figure we're aloud to make a mistake or two every once in awhile!:gringreen

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Definitely wouldn't have wanted to leave that in there. Plastic or not, it's not good for the motor.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Definitely wouldn't have wanted to leave that in there. Plastic or not, it's not good for the motor.
Yeah, imagine your valves slamming open and closed on that hard plastic?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
OK, I was able to use a wire coat hanger with some double stick body tape on the end to grab it and got it far enough to the opening that I could use some angle needle nose pliers to grab it.
Nice work.
A coat hanger, some sticky tape, and a pair of needle nose pliers. Those are 3 items that have come to my rescue more times than I'd like to admit, and not just when working on cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.