Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have an 87 gt with an c-4 and shift kit, wich has no over drive..i has stock gears in the back...i want to change over to a 5 speed is this wise? and if it is can u tell me what transmission to go with ? I have like 1500 to spend do they make hole trans kit for a 302?... I have clutch pedal and cable already in it...jus need bell housing and clutch..any sugestions?

·
Registered
716 Posts
its funny when street cars want to go faster the put in manuals......when drag cars want to go faster they put in autos........
manuals are more fun to drive but they are a pain in the a$$ as daily drivers. I would spend the money on other mods.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well my motor is stock and it fuckin blows driving on the highway with no over drive with stock gears...I dont wanna drag the car

·
Registered
579 Posts
What stock gears do you have? If you have anything under 3.55 your only going to see a 400-600rpm drop. Remembering the good old days my 70 Olds W30 came with 4.56 gears with the Muncie M21 and turned 3400rpm @60mph. Back to the topic. I enjoy shifting my own gears but the C-4 is worth keeping and your not going to see that much of a mpg advantage going to a 5speed if you have high gears like 3.08 - 3.27

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
ill trade ya my AOD haha.

dont fret about your tranny or your mileage. who cares.
i love using up all the gas and pollutin' all the air.
its what i do.

just drive it man... it might eat your wallet up a little bit, but you and i, and everyone on these forums, know that it is worth it.

a tranny swap is way too much of a project to do just for gas mileage.

if you want to see better mileage, convert to mass air. that will save you a couple mpg. maybe add some underdrive pullies. but since your car is an auto, and requires higher voltage than a standard, look in to the March power series pullies. they have them in jegs catalogs, noted with an asterisk (*) for autos. im not sure if there is a big difference, but theyre the same price so whhy not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the car first had a 5 speed in it...So naturally it would have a small gear in it...rite?...I guess im underestemating in tell you all how bad it is.. lol a 3 speed with no over drive f'n blows... on a carbed motor seems like it take like 1500 rpm's to start pulling hard?????????? But If I had a 5 speed my car wouldn't lag so much right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
i say go for the five speed swap. in my opinion they are way more fun as a daily driver. theres nothing better than pulling up next to someone on a street, dropping gears and takin off, you just cant do that with an auto. also manuals have been known to take a full second off ET's with a good driver.

If you have any extra cash, go for some 3.73's in the rear while the trans is out. You will notice a big difference in acceleration. they are also good for highway driving.

·
Registered
365 Posts
1994sn95 said:
manuals have been known to take a full second off ET's with a good driver.
This may be true over an AOD tranny but not a C-4. But i would recomend going with a T5... I wish i had one. lol

·
Registered
918 Posts
Go with the T5, that way you'll be driving the car instead of just riding in it!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
You probably don't need to go too far, there's a classified ad page here, as well as advertisements. Check the Tradin' Post, junkyards, and E-bay.

The C4 is a pretty durable little tranny. You might consider a Hone overdrive. I think they're pricey, but the C4 with the Hone is probably stronger than a T5, and more durable (and stronger) than an AOD.
If I didn't have to go on the highway, I'd almost rather have a C4.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.