Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier i wrote about how Big-o's took chunks out of my brand new 18x9 Black cobra bullits...well.. here is an update.. I went there today and i was told on Saturday that they would get their machine fixed and my other three wheels mounted in tires.. well none of it has happened. Aparently they called the "manufacturer" and could get a hold of them... so they didnt order my new wheel.... then they also didnt get a hold of the guy to fix their machine... i think im getting royally screwed. They have had all day to call.. what? did they call once and give up?! Also on Saturday they had all day until 4 to put my rims on my car but they didt start until and hour after work was over.. which is ok because thats when i got off but they still F***** up my wheel... Also.. I talked to the manager about the offspacing issue with the front calipers... He said that they dont "do" Spacers because if i got in a wreck insurance wouldnt pay for it because of the spacers and that would make them to liable.. also.. i mentioned shaving down the caliper.. He said he would rather do that than a spacer but i should contact ford to ask if it would void my warrenty... This is such B.S.! Im going to talk to them adn say if they dont get my S*** down by the end of this week ( Saturday ) then im taking my stuff back and having someone else do it.. and their are still def. paying for that wheels they f-d up.... sorry .. im just steamed... got to vent off...

·
Registered
359 Posts
With all that has happened to you, and it all sucks, just be glad that you are OK. There are people in the world who cannot afford to put food on the table, clothes on their kids back, pay for rent, etc.

With all that has happened with this business, I would just have them mount the tires on the rims and then either find someone else to install them or do it yourself.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Fryguy_pa's perspective is perfect IMO....good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know this.. but howe come when i talk about this stuf im the only one who gets this and not help?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mustang05 said:
I know this.. but howe come when i talk about this stuf im the only one who gets this and not help?
because your original post said you just had to vent.

from here on is what I would do:
first off, I would have bought wheels with the correct back spacing so I would not have to use spacers nor have the calibers shaved. IMHO both are bad ideas.

I would calm down and talk to the manager and see what he can do for me. If he gave me no help, then I would ask for a check to cover the cost of the wheel that was messed up, take my other wheels and go somewhere else and have the work done. If that did not work I would ask the owner for a written statement as to how, when, and where the wheel was damaged. Then I would take the wheel and letter and consult a lawyer.

Then contact my local ford dealer and ask them about having spacers installed or the calibers shaved and see what they tell me.

Other than that I can be of no help.

Jon
:drink:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Things are happening to all of us that are both good and bad. We, share your event with the wheels, and feel sorry along with you. But you must share our different feelings too. That way they balance out.
I, for instance, installed my C&L intake and the XCal 2, and am quite besides myself with joy. Do you feel the joy?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mustang05 said:
Oh, because sometimes it's also nice to sit back and think about the KIND of problems you are having, that you are lucky to have in some ways. Not making light of it, but really, you didn't ask for help either. You were venting, which is still understandable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i understand.. maybe i should have asked as well.. but also i have question. Are Spacers illegal? and if you get in a wreck with them and insurnce finds out you have them will they not cover it? If this is all true then why did Mustang Tuning send them to everyone who purchased these wheels?

·
Registered
359 Posts
This is nothing personal with you, we all go through it from time to time. Sometimes it helps to remember things.

There was a time (not too long ago) when I picked up my Stang and was pissed because the radio was screwed up. I complained to Ford et al, and got nowhere. It took one of my coworkers to reground me.

Remember... Don't sweat the small stuff (it is all small stuff).

Oh, and once all is said and done we hope to see some pics! After all this, we need to see them!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks a lot man.. after all this i will def. post pictures:smoke:

·
Registered
110 Posts
wheel spacer, legal?

Legal? good question, anyone

my2c on spacers

I have witnesed them used on everything from race cars to rockcrawling jeeps that also see the highway and if installed wisley should be safe

I think 3/4" and smaller spacers just fit between wheel and mounting point, thicker ones, bolt on (with locktight) to original or extended studs, there are also the hubcentric type mounts that have to be custom made

don't use the type they sell at pep boys, look on the net or in back of car mags for sources that make billit machined spacers of high quaility, re-torque rims after a few slow miles then again a couple time after heat cycles to make sure they are seated (this should be done even on new wheels. if you have spacer related problems it would likley be spacers for the wrong application or installed wrong

if in an accident caused by a wheel falling off and you have spacers, you best be ready for a law suit if you hurt someone

·
Registered
137 Posts
Dea. R&E said:
Things are happening to all of us that are both good and bad. We, share your event with the wheels, and feel sorry along with you. But you must share our different feelings too. That way they balance out.
I, for instance, installed my C&L intake and the XCal 2, and am quite besides myself with joy. Do you feel the joy?
Hmmmm... and I saved 15% or more on my car insurance by switching to Geico! :eyepoppin Good news from all around, no?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Personally I would rather hear that you went the extra mile and investigated having your calipers modified or purchased some after market ones that provide you with the extra clearance you need.

Spacers are like spring shackels and other "Cheap fixes". Not designed for long term used or for that matter with quality and safety a primary concern.

Any time you change the offset on your wheels your changing the geometry of your steering components and that changes how the axle weight is distributed on your spindles and axle bearings. Not to say its intolerable by any means but its still a change the engineers may not have accounted for when designing the component.
Examples: 69 Baja bug with wide rear wheels and radical camber adjustment. My friend (who shall remain nameless) used to burn through rear outer wheel bearing at the rate of one set every 30-45 days. Got to the point he went to the wrecking yard and pulled them from derelicts. He literally had a coffee can full of wheel bearings in his house and he could change them faster than I've ever seen. Datsun 510 sedan with similar build: axle bearings at least twice a year.

Then compound that with the manufacuturers advice regarding slow miles--retorque--hot-cold--retorque you get, in my opinion, a recipe for a lawsuit.

Granted it may work fine for as long as you own the car but! That aint the way Ford wanted them built. So do yourself a favor and at least investigate what other high perfomance brake component manufacturers are offering because they are engineers too and they might have just what you need to do it safe and well and in such a way your protected from liability lawsuits for being potentially negligent in putting shoddy after market parts on your car.

My 10 cents worth.

I'll shut up now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts