Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been searching around the forums for quite sometime, but I can not find one thread that is the similar position as I am.

Okay I have a 2001 Mustang V6 Automatic 4-speed, and I plan on keeping this car until I can afford a newer Mustang (the 2011 5.0). I have 132,000 miles on it, so mind you it is pretty old. I however, want to either Supercharge it, or Turbo Charge it. I am willing to drop 6k on performance alone but I am definitely aiming towards a cheaper alternative.

You guys are the Pros. I want to make this thing fast, and by fast, I mean mid-high 13 second quarter mile times. I want 0-60 times in the low 5 second range. I want speed and I want power, I also want a reliable way of doing it.

So far all I just have is Flow-Master 40 dual exhaust. Sounds great even for a V6.

If I wanted a supercharger what would I need to do to the car to make it that fast?

If I wanted a Turbo, what would I need to do to the car to make it that fast if not faster?

Thanks Guys I appreciate the help. And no I can NOT swap engines, it is illegal to swap a V6 for a V8 due to the SMOG test.

·
Registered
252 Posts
headers, x-pipe, powerpack from super six motorsports- heads,cam,intake port and polished. and then a 75-100shot of n20.
and of course a dyno tune.
and that will only cost you around 2500 if you do it yourself, around 5-6k for install and parts. but you would be pushing over 350hp and around 400tq.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
headers, x-pipe, powerpack from super six motorsports- heads,cam,intake port and polished. and then a 75-100shot of n20.
and of course a dyno tune.
and that will only cost you around 2500 if you do it yourself, around 5-6k for install and parts. but you would be pushing over 350hp and around 400tq.
Thanks a lot 03silverMustang.

Headers (American Muscle?)

X-Pipe (What would be the point of this???? Would it just make it sound better?)

PowerPack From Super Six MOtorsports (What the heck is this thing??????)

Heads (Can I buy on American Muscle?)

Cam (Can I buy on American Muscle?)

Intake Port and Polished (What is this?????)

Dyno Tune. (Oblivious to what this is, is this like a normal Tuner? Like the SCT? would you recommend the SCT Tuner?)

I'm trying to avoid n02 because not only is it illegal, but it's fairly expensive, I mean how long does one canister last?

Why no supercharger or turbo????

Thanks again! Anyone with any knowledge of this please respond! I want to get this baby on the road!

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Super six is to expensive, go over to GSSmotorsports.com they have what you want for less and a wonderful reputation!! I'm headed there in about 6 weeks to get my new top end for my motor; cylinder heads, ported lower intake, and a decent cam with new rocker arms push rods basically the entire top part of my motor for $3000 installed... Then the tune to line up everything which should be around 200-250 since it's still an N/A motor

Then you can do a full exhaust system to let the new top end push out all that air it can now take in, with that and a good higher octane tune (like 93) it will run great!! Throw in some gears (3.73 or 4.10) and you will get the speed you want plus some without the hassle of a blower

You want long tube headers to deliver the most power and the x-pipe mentioned before delivers the best scavenging effect for the exhaust, flowmaster is a good choice of muffler

the Windstar intake is also a great mod to do to give an optimal intake flow and since it's plastic it has the advantage of very little heat soke (the cooler the intake charge the better)

Oh by the way, since your in CA this is all illegal due to emissions..... This would have to be a track only car :winks

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
where is the logic in wasting 6k on a car that you're getting rid of.. why not keep it and get your new 5.0 that much faster?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where is the logic in wasting 6k on a car that you're getting rid of.. why not keep it and get your new 5.0 that much faster?
1. I'm 19 years old. I can't afford a new 5.0.

2. Insurance for a 19 year old for the new 5.0????!?! Your nuts!

Like my dad said there is no need to drive a nicer car at this age, the toys come later when I start my career.

Well this car has to be a daily driver I can't do anything illegal to it otherwise I would have just swapped the engine.

Wait so guys no one has really answered my question.
What do I need to get mid 13 second times in the quarter mile and even 0-60 times in the low 5's?

I know a supercharger could give my car the umph it needs, but would it be enough and what is needed in order to get a supercharger for a car with over 130k on it???? :confused:

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Ummm did you miss the part in my post where I said this would give you the time you want plus some with the gears?

If you want to do it legally a procharger setup is carb approved I do believe so it's legal for use in CA, it will put about 300hp to the ground and run upper 12's to low 13's, it cost about 5000 if I remember correctly, go to the procharger website and have a look around for the place to enter your information to get them to send you a packet with all the info you need, install will cost about 500-1000 and then tuning for a non-N/A setup will be expensive, go to VMP tuning for an idea as to the price of tuning for a supercharger setup

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ummm did you miss the part in my post where I said this would give you the time you want plus some with the gears?

If you want to do it legally a procharger setup is carb approved I do believe so it's legal for use in CA, it will put about 300hp to the ground and run upper 12's to low 13's, it cost about 5000 if I remember correctly, go to the procharger website and have a look around for the place to enter your information to get them to send you a packet with all the info you need, install will cost about 500-1000 and then tuning for a non-N/A setup will be expensive, go to VMP tuning for an idea as to the price of tuning for a supercharger setup
So all I really needed was just a ProCharger and thats it? My car has a lot of miles though (132k) so will I need to change anything? I mean if ALL I need is a procharger and thats it, I will gladly go with that, but I don't know how much psi my car can handle?

Thanks a lot!!!:shiny:

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
So all I really needed was just a ProCharger and thats it? My car has a lot of miles though (132k) so will I need to change anything? I mean if ALL I need is a procharger and thats it, I will gladly go with that, but I don't know how much psi my car can handle?

Thanks a lot!!!:shiny:
That's a little high so too much boost would be a bad idea, but the limit for our motor is 11psi with the factory internals, if you want to get the 9psi kit to be on the safe side and put in some lower gears like some 3.73's to help with the pick up you will run the times you want and be on the safer side since you wont be running the max limit boost

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
what I'm saying is save your money so you eventually CAN afford a 5.0

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a little high so too much boost would be a bad idea, but the limit for our motor is 11psi with the factory internals, if you want to get the 9psi kit to be on the safe side and put in some lower gears like some 3.73's to help with the pick up you will run the times you want and be on the safer side since you wont be running the max limit boost
Yeah, that would be a better idea, last thing I need is for my engine to blow on my way to work xD.

1994-04 3.8L V6 Mustang
Description HP Gain Intercooler
'99-03 - 5, 7 psi w/ P-1SC 40-55% 2 Core
'99-03 - 11 psi w/ P-1SC 50-80% 2 Core
'94-98 - 11 psi w/ P-1SC 75-80% 2 Core

That's what is listed on the Procharger website for my car. I can't find one for 9psi, what would I need to get to 11psi?

Lets say I do find one for 9si or get one for 7psi, and I put 3.73 gears, would this stand a chance against the newer 2011 Mustang V6? My friend has one I would love to shut him up =)))))

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Yeah, that would be a better idea, last thing I need is for my engine to blow on my way to work xD.

1994-04 3.8L V6 Mustang
Description HP Gain Intercooler
'99-03 - 5, 7 psi w/ P-1SC 40-55% 2 Core
'99-03 - 11 psi w/ P-1SC 50-80% 2 Core
'94-98 - 11 psi w/ P-1SC 75-80% 2 Core

That's what is listed on the Procharger website for my car. I can't find one for 9psi, what would I need to get to 11psi?

Lets say I do find one for 9si or get one for 7psi, and I put 3.73 gears, would this stand a chance against the newer 2011 Mustang V6? My friend has one I would love to shut him up =)))))
Without a problem, they run about a 14 flat with a good driver in stock form, you will be running faster than that, if you went with the 7 psi kit and the gears you would be running faster but not by much however, when you buy the kit you have the option of 5, 7, 9, or 11psi; I already have the packet but it's at the house so I can't tell you the price, i do remember some things though, like the psi choices and some of the upgrades you can get with it, like the helical gear set to reduce the noise or the D1-SC upgrade about 450 I think which is a bigger and more efficient blower than the P1-SC that comes standard in kit

Btw has you buddy done any modding to that car?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Without a problem, they run about a 14 flat with a good driver in stock form, you will be running faster than that, if you went with the 7 psi kit and the gears you would be running faster but not by much however, when you buy the kit you have the option of 5, 7, 9, or 11psi; I already have the packet but it's at the house so I can't tell you the price, i do remember some things though, like the psi choices and some of the upgrades you can get with it, like the helical gear set to reduce the noise or the D1-SC upgrade about 450 I think which is a bigger and more efficient blower than the P1-SC that comes standard in kit

Btw has you buddy done any modding to that car?
Oh sweet! He always told me my car sucked and would never stand a chance against his haha so glad I am able to prove him wrong!

Nothing extraordinary, he just got flowmaster mufflers. His parent's won't allow him to do anything else since they are the ones that paid for the car.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
By the time you buy the blower, injectors, fuel pump, tune, chip, t-lock you're looking at what probably 6k+? Just to run with bolt on 2v GTs or stock 11 V6? I don't think this is in op's budget.... not to mention 19 yo and this is your dd.... save your money.....

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the time you buy the blower, injectors, fuel pump, tune, chip, t-lock you're looking at what probably 6k+? Just to run with bolt on GTs or stock 11 V6? I don't think this is in op's budget.... not to mention 19 yo and this is your dd.... save your money.....
I don't understand why people like you post on here? This is what I want, I want my car to be fast in the quarter mile and in 0-60 times for MY enjoyment, I just ASKED if I could beat a 2011 V6...... don't go assuming just because I asked one simple question that that's the reason why I'm upgrading my car.

Well apparently all I need is a procharger and a 3.73 gear ratio. I'm assuming that's around 5000 to purchase and install.

I make 15k a year and have no bills to pay why does it matter if I take pride in the car I already own? Why should I just leave it and say it's a waste of money when clearly to me it's not because it's what I like.

Sure it might be a waste of money to you, but to a 19 year old kid it sounds great. I will have a much nicer car and won't have to do such "useless" upgrades in the future once I take over my dads business, but as of right now upgrading my car is much more affordable and convenient for me.

Idunno my brother put 9k in his 2001 Ranger at 20 years old. It's what he liked were not going to buy brand new 300hp cars stock any time soon.....

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
He actually used the word never and he can't do anything to his but mufflers??

If he did get a few things say like a tuner/intake combo he would be right around 290hp on the wheels, which is a lot but remember he weighs a lot more too, you have nothing to worry about from him if you did some modding.

Get the blower and don't say a word to him, then ask to race, he won't know what to think when be sees you taillights!! Now remember this, be careful who you get to do your work, if you do get the supercharger look around for a reputable shop for the install, (unless you can do it yourself) then when it comes time for the dyno tune do a **** load of research to find the best place, if something is even slightly off kiss that motor goodbye....

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He actually used the word never and he can't do anything to his but mufflers??

If he did get a few things say like a tuner/intake combo he would be right around 290hp on the wheels, which is a lot but remember he weighs a lot more too, you have nothing to worry about from him if you did some modding.

Get the blower and don't say a word to him, then ask to race, he won't know what to think when be sees you taillights!! Now remember this, be careful who you get to do your work, if you do get the supercharger look around for a reputable shop for the install, (unless you can do it yourself) then when it comes time for the dyno tune do a **** load of research to find the best place, if something is even slightly off kiss that motor goodbye....
Then I have to install the gears, which would cost about 600 total to purchase and install =(.

I can find someone to do the supercharger for me, but I don't know what the dyno tune is for? Do I have to get it dyno tuned right after the blower is installed?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Then I have to install the gears, which would cost about 600 total to purchase and install =(.

I can find someone to do the supercharger for me, but I don't know what the dyno tune is for? Do I have to get it dyno tuned right after the blower is installed?
You should get it dyno tuned, that way it will be setup right with everything you have done to it, that will yield the best tune for more power and better reliability.

Also one thing you sholud do to go with the gears is a a T-lok; gears, a T-lok, the bearing/install kit, fluid, and the labor to install all the parts will be about $700

If you don't know about the T-lok it makes both the rear wheels spin at the same time, this will give better traction on launch and more impressive burnouts.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I don't understand why people like you post on here? This is what I want, I want my car to be fast in the quarter mile and in 0-60 times for MY enjoyment, I just ASKED if I could beat a 2011 V6...... don't go assuming just because I asked one simple question that that's the reason why I'm upgrading my car.

Well apparently all I need is a procharger and a 3.73 gear ratio. I'm assuming that's around 5000 to purchase and install.

I make 15k a year and have no bills to pay why does it matter if I take pride in the car I already own? Why should I just leave it and say it's a waste of money when clearly to me it's not because it's what I like.

Sure it might be a waste of money to you, but to a 19 year old kid it sounds great. I will have a much nicer car and won't have to do such "useless" upgrades in the future once I take over my dads business, but as of right now upgrading my car is much more affordable and convenient for me.

Idunno my brother put 9k in his 2001 Ranger at 20 years old. It's what he liked were not going to buy brand new 300hp cars stock any time soon.....
I don't understand why DREAMERS like YOU post on here every day! We all don't want to hear about mods you HOPE to do someday years from now. Come back and make your thread when you have the money to spend. You can't even do your own installs, so add another $2k for labor on the $6k for parts... which you clearly will never have anywhere close to that while making $15k per year and live with mommy and daddy. So you take home about $225/wk after taxes? Seriously... after gas, food, clothes, entertainment, Monster energy drinks, Andriod phone bills, blah blah how much money left do you really thing you will have for modding your 6? What about when you need tires and you **** a brick when you find out it's gonna cost you 3 weeks pay for a set of new tires? What about if you move out of mommy and daddys house and you find out what the real world is like when you have to buy your own ass wipe? Your own laundry and dish detergent? **** adds up REAL fast. You're in for a rude awakening sonny boy.....

And no you do not "only need a procharger and gears." There is a lot of supporting mods you need like I already said.... injectors, fuel pump, tune, chip, clutch, t-lock etc etc

If I would have talked about modding my first 3.8 Tbird..... my dad would have ***** slapped some sense into me so fast! He told me drive the 6 for 2 years (no mods)...... then buy a 5.0 Tbird instead. Best advice ever. In your case if you love your V6 so much and are set on modding that, then in a few more years when you have some money to burn and you have another vehicle for daily driver... THEN throw a turbo or supercharger on the V6.

Sorry for sounding rude but I'm just giving you a reality check. This hobby is not cheap. Even 5.0 foxbodies are not cheap.... and V6s are even more expensive to make fast. Going fast is cool and all.... but reliable transportation to work and college are more important. When you are modding cars, it's a chain reaction of stuff you have to upgrade or else stuff breaks. Do you realize how easy it is to ruin your engine when you run lean on boost? Anytime you are messing with the car you are also making it less reliable. Even something stupid like you're going to drive to work, then you are overcome with gas fumes... pop the hood and your aftermarket fuel pressure regulator is leaking. Now you gotta call into work and jeapordize your source of income.

R

·
0 Posts
I don't understand why DREAMERS like YOU post on here every day! We all don't want to hear about mods you HOPE to do someday years from now. Come back and make your thread when you have the money to spend. You can't even do your own installs, so add another $2k for labor on the $6k for parts... which you clearly will never have anywhere close to that while making $15k per year and live with mommy and daddy. So you take home about $225/wk after taxes? Seriously... after gas, food, clothes, entertainment, Monster energy drinks, Andriod phone bills, blah blah how much money left do you really thing you will have for modding your 6? What about when you need tires and you **** a brick when you find out it's gonna cost you 3 weeks pay for a set of new tires? What about if you move out of mommy and daddys house and you find out what the real world is like when you have to buy your own ass wipe? Your own laundry and dish detergent? **** adds up REAL fast. You're in for a rude awakening sonny boy.....

And no you do not "only need a procharger and gears." There is a lot of supporting mods you need like I already said.... injectors, fuel pump, tune, chip, clutch, t-lock etc etc

If I would have talked about modding my first 3.8 Tbird..... my dad would have ***** slapped some sense into me so fast! He told me drive the 6 for 2 years (no mods)...... then buy a 5.0 Tbird instead. Best advice ever. In your case if you love your V6 so much and are set on modding that, then in a few more years when you have some money to burn and you have another vehicle for daily driver... THEN throw a turbo or supercharger on the V6.

Sorry for sounding rude but I'm just giving you a reality check. This hobby is not cheap. Even 5.0 foxbodies are not cheap.... and V6s are even more expensive to make fast. Going fast is cool and all.... but reliable transportation to work and college are more important. When you are modding cars, it's a chain reaction of stuff you have to upgrade or else stuff breaks. Do you realize how easy it is to ruin your engine when you run lean on boost? Anytime you are messing with the car you are also making it less reliable. Even something stupid like you're going to drive to work, then you are overcome with gas fumes... pop the hood and your aftermarket fuel pressure regulator is leaking. Now you gotta call into work and jeapordize your source of income.
+1 on everything.

Also note, while the ProCharger is California legal, any mods to your computer to run it (tune, chip, etc.) is not and you will fail emission because of it.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts