Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after i found out i need to pull my motor and put rings in it, I decided I'm going to put a stock motor in my SN-95 and sell it,and buy an 86-93 coupe.

Found a bunch of hatches for like $250 bucks but I know I can find a decent coupe for about $500 or so. Probably going to have to do a 2.3L to 5.0L swap but im ok with that.

I've also decided when I pull my motor, Im going to put dome pistons back in and try to get the compression up around 12.5-13:1 :D ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON PISTONS FOR A 331? The motor will be getting spray this time around also!

Thought about changing cams too. Think a custom grind would be the way to go?

·
Registered
224 Posts
excellent decision, you wont regret going to the coupe...even if a hatch looks better :D

R

·
0 Posts
So after i found out i need to pull my motor and put rings in it, I decided I'm going to put a stock motor in my SN-95 and sell it,and buy an 86-93 coupe.

Found a bunch of hatches for like $250 bucks but I know I can find a decent coupe for about $500 or so. Probably going to have to do a 2.3L to 5.0L swap but im ok with that.

I've also decided when I pull my motor, Im going to put dome pistons back in and try to get the compression up around 12.5-13:1 :D ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON PISTONS FOR A 331? The motor will be getting spray this time around also!

Thought about changing cams too. Think a custom grind would be the way to go?
Where do we start with this one........:scratchchin

Before you start buying parts ......

you need to determine the primary use of the car......

your budget.....

The amount of horse power you anticipate.....

you don't need domed piston to get 12.5:1 CR

are you planing to go with any power adder(s)

do want this car to run on pump gas......

will you be using a stock block

i could go on & on....

You need to come up with a plan before you do anything.....

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where do we start with this one........:scratchchin

Before you start buying parts ......

you need to determine the primary use of the car...... STRIP except to put miles on car before dyno pulls

your budget..... Depends on how much i get for my car

The amount of horse power you anticipate..... 400 rwhp on motor

you don't need domed piston to get 12.5:1 CR How else would i get it(dont want to mill heads

are you planing to go with any power adder(s) NITROUS

do want this car to run on pump gas...... Pump Gas preferably maybe a splash or 2 of race fuel

will you be using a stock block YES

i could go on & on....

You need to come up with a plan before you do anything.....
Sorry i didnt specify REG! I know you are thorough! lol

I also stole your little way of answering because it was convinient.
I want semi high compression. My bro has a '00 GT and i want to spank some MOD MOTOR @$$

-Car will be gutted. I will put tubular front suspension on before i worry about building the motor with coil overs up front and eventually the rear.
-Manual steering, no A/C, or smog. Just alternator,crank and water pump.
-TKO 600 tranny.

Thats my plans anyway. You know how things go sometimes though.

R

·
0 Posts
So you will be building a lightweight "racecar"

Target weight should be 2500-2800 lbs w/driver....

based on a race weight of 2650.....

you will need approx, 450hp to the wheels to go 10.50's

This will be right at the limits of a stock block....

my sugesstion for the motor .....

go with a 347........

pro power kit of course......

Pro Power : The engine parts professionals : 347 STREET/STRIP STROKER KIT-FLATTOP PISTONS [990-21347SSFT] - $925.00

Edlebrock RPM Xtreme heads.....

Edelbrock.com - Cylinder Heads - Ford - Small Block - RPM XT

Edlebrock performer II

Edelbrock 7123

custom grind cam.....

Camshaft Innovations - Home

NOS Big shot nitrous plate system....

i would would run a seperate fuel system for the n2o

the above combo will is a capble of putting 500 to the ground

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Reg you a fan of Jay Allen? Very, Very Intelligent Guy.

Plus 1 on the CamshaftInnovations custom grind.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I planned on running my 331 with the AFR 185 heads and Victor EFI intake with a little shot of spray for now. But I am bgoing to look into a custom cam :happydance:

Then maybe next year build a 408? :scratchchin

What is the ABSOLUTE BEST HEAD MANUFACTURER OUT THERE? No worry of price or none of that!? (for a future reference)

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Sooo, going to the dark side (FOX body) eh??? :nono:
I say save some money... keep your SN... and put more money into the engine!

But that's just me. :D

If I can't persuade you to keep the better looking car (SN95), then definitely get a hatch back. Those are the better looking of the FOXes. I have always wanted to get a white hatch back that I can "drag" the hell out of...

cough* keep the SN cough*

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The coupe is the the lighter of the cars. And I think they look great. I have 3 cousins that have hatches and i want to be different.
I know i was different with the SN95 n I always said I wouldnt sell my car but I decided it was time. Sorry Feen. I hope I dont regret my decision :so

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
The coupe is the the lighter of the cars. And I think they look great. I have 3 cousins that have hatches and i want to be different.
I know i was different with the SN95 n I always said I wouldnt sell my car but I decided it was time. Sorry Feen. I hope I dont regret my decision :so
Eh, you might regret it, you might not... I just see FOXes everywhere around here, and I see a lot of '96-up SN's but I hardly ever see the horizontal tail lights from a '94-'95!
Nothing wrong with a FOX, but IMO the SN's have them beat in the "looks" category.
But I'll admit, if you want something just to race then get the FOX. If you want to race AND look really good stick with the SN.

I always say, "If I loose, at least I'll look good doing it!" :gringreen

I believe the coupes have less chassis flex too... :scratchchin

R

·
0 Posts
Reg you a fan of Jay Allen? Very, Very Intelligent Guy.

Plus 1 on the CamshaftInnovations custom grind.

I have a jay allen cam in my new motor.....

The guy really kows his stuff.......:bigthumbsup

What is the ABSOLUTE BEST HEAD MANUFACTURER OUT THERE? No worry of price or none of that!? (for a future reference)

I have canfield heads on the motor now.....

but i really like the looks of the Edlebrock xtreme RPM's

and you can't go wrong with Brodix
There are so many different heads out there you just have to find a set that works wells for what you want them to do....

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
There's so many heads out there, it'll come down to personal preference. The only real thing to consider is if they're suitable for the engine you're building.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eh, you might regret it, you might not... I just see FOXes everywhere around here, and I see a lot of '96-up SN's but I hardly ever see the horizontal tail lights from a '94-'95!
Nothing wrong with a FOX, but IMO the SN's have them beat in the "looks" category.
But I'll admit, if you want something just to race then get the FOX. If you want to race AND look really good stick with the SN.

I always say, "If I loose, at least I'll look good doing it!" :gringreen

I believe the coupes have less chassis flex too... :scratchchin
Worse comes to worse, if i decide i dont like it ill just sell it and start over :laugh:

But i think im going to like it. If i get a 4 cyl. car and have to convert it, it will kinda be a me, dad and brother project. We all like working together on projects so everything will work out :bigthumbsup

Ill try to do a build thread and keep everybody posted when i find a car and get mine sold. Hopefully it wont take too long :so

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Worse comes to worse, if i decide i dont like it ill just sell it and start over :laugh:

But i think im going to like it. If i get a 4 cyl. car and have to convert it, it will kinda be a me, dad and brother project. We all like working together on projects so everything will work out :bigthumbsup

Ill try to do a build thread and keep everybody posted when i find a car and get mine sold. Hopefully it wont take too long :so
A race car project would be fun!
Me and my dad like to restore old classic/antique cars, but I'd love to build a race car with him... I've got a brother but he's worthless so we don't include him... LoL

White, dark blue, or black are my favorite colors for the FOXes... *hint hint

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Me and my dad like to restore old classic/antique cars, but I'd love to build a race car with him... I've got a brother but he's worthless so we don't include him... LoL

LOL. I may do a 2-tone. Cut it at the body line. I do all my own paint/body work so I'm going to do something a little different rather than just a plain color.
I do like certain oranges on coupes though. I may do an Orange and silver. Never seen that before :scratchchin With some weld pro-stars .

I already can't wait and i aint even got the car yet!

R

·
0 Posts
Sooo, going to the dark side (FOX body) eh??? :nono:
I say save some money... keep your SN... and put more money into the engine!

But that's just me. :D

If I can't persuade you to keep the better looking car (SN95), then definitely get a hatch back. Those are the better looking of the FOXes. I have always wanted to get a white hatch back that I can "drag" the hell out of...

cough* keep the SN cough*

I would keep the SN95 also ......

Having a slow daily driver & something to beat on is a good thing....:)

Really allows you to enjoy the fast car AKA The Fox......

My Fox is dark blue.....:)

Did you really think i was going to let that slide.....:happyhapp

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I cant have the best of both worlds. Dont have the funds for it, and I still live at home and pops wont let me have 2 mustangs and my truck. :so
Im still kind of debating on whether i want a coupe or a hatch. I cant make up my mind!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.