Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, we all know about under hood heat and pressure issues on the new Mustang. I have a 2007 with GT appearance package and can't install a shaker set up (won't cover scoop holes). Don't wany to buy, paint & install a replacement either. Why not take off scoop, cut the hole like you would anyway for shaker and reinstall scoop. ie. make it functional? CDC saya on its' site that the "shaker system uses your factory hood which has a factory stamping in the hood inner maintaining integrity of the hood." Also, no embarassment over "fake" scoop anymore. A plasma cutter should work great, just need to trim the hole nicely and seal bare metal. Any thought's or someone who has done what seems like an obvious and cost effective mod?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Sounds like a good Idea wouldnt mind doing that to my 2007 GT/CS but be careful if that hood scoop is on really really well. In california the Roush 427R Track Pack cant use a functional scoop because cali is afraid it will fall off at high way+ speeds.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Kinda on the same page as you. I'd like to find something to make the shaker work. Main bug in using the factory scoop is getting the water shedding issues worked out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not worried about it coming off as the factory one is bolted on and would remount the same way. And I have had the car to 150mph with no issues. But what do you mean by water shedding issues? I can't imagine what that would be.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Generally, you have to have some sort of tray or other way to divert the water that will come in away from the engine if you have a scoop/ram/front induction-type hood. A lot of the aftermarket hoods seems to only divert water in reference to the OEM airbox which of course isn't there if you're CAI or other power added/modified.

I'd call some of the makers of the hoods (e.g., Cervini, which makes a ton of them; CDC; etc.) and talk to their people about this (the Cervini tech guy I spoke with was particularly helpful).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well at the risk of sounding like a wise guy here, I don't drive in the rain or snow. I try to put only 6k a year on it and either use it for kicks or club racing. But I understand the water issue if my 2007 were made the way my old cars were in the 60's and 70's. Here the carb was right under the scoop. But now, all any water would hit would be the plenum cover. And the cool air in the engine compartment would be a benefit. Ever feel the filter on your CAI after driving an hour even in 75-80 degree days? It's hot! Maybe a mist of water might even help (if I ever get caught in the rain).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Excessive H2O in the spark plug reservoir where the coil packs live would be bad. Key word "excessive". :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmmm. Well let me ask this. I don't know if the CDC shaker set up is just a poser but if it actually takes in air and is mounted in the airstream and thus the water stream if it is raining, how does this system get around a water issue? You're right about water in the spark plug wells being a no no, but I bet you could get around that by installing those fuel rail covers that match my plemun cover I got on the GT appearance package. How bout dat?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Hmmmmm. Well let me ask this. I don't know if the CDC shaker set up is just a poser but if it actually takes in air and is mounted in the airstream and thus the water stream if it is raining, how does this system get around a water issue? You're right about water in the spark plug wells being a no no, but I bet you could get around that by installing those fuel rail covers that match my plemun cover I got on the GT appearance package. How bout dat?
The shaker has built-in water management complete with drains.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the GT-S hood with the heat extractors. I bought the fuel rail covers you are thinking of and they do exactly what you are thinking. It works well diverting water coming in by these massive hood vents. Not 100% but pretty good. I don't think it will work well for your intended application because your water will enter at the center of your engine and roll off the plenum cover and fill the spark plug wells. My 2 cents. Picture of my engine bay in my gallery for your reference. Good luck...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.