Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 2000 mustang gt convertible. My car was missing and the check engine light was on. I took the car to ford and they diagnosed the #5 and 6 coil as malfunctioning and needing replacement. I looked at the #5 coil and it had a hole in the top of it like it melted. I put a new neihoff coil in and about thirty seconds after I started the vehicle the car filled with smoke and when I lifted the hood the 50 dollar coil had burnt in the same way as the stock one almost instantly. I also at the same time replaced all the spark plugs and coil boots. Any ideas on what's frying the coil?

R

·
0 Posts
Hi everyone, I have a 2000 mustang gt convertible. My car was missing and the check engine light was on. I took the car to ford and they diagnosed the #5 and 6 coil as malfunctioning and needing replacement. I looked at the #5 coil and it had a hole in the top of it like it melted. I put a new neihoff coil in and about thirty seconds after I started the vehicle the car filled with smoke and when I lifted the hood the 50 dollar coil had burnt in the same way as the stock one almost instantly. I also at the same time replaced all the spark plugs and coil boots. Any ideas on what's frying the coil?

if I had to take a gues at it, I'd say it's from some cheap inferior aftermarket crap parts, only buy oem Ford, it maybe be more at some places but you get what you pay for....just an FYI, we sell the genuine Ford/Motorcraft COP's for $59.95

what brand of plugs did you buy and what is the sparkplug gap?
and did you use any Dielectric grease on the boot and coil connection?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

spark plug gap is .054 and yes dielectric grease was used. The problem is that the stock coil burned out and the replacement coil burned out exactly the same almost instantly. I dont think it is inferior parts and i know its not a bad spark plug gap. I replaced two of the coils and the other one has no problems. It is the same number five cylinder. Today I am going to try a fuel system clean and a new coil. i will also pull out the fuel injector for the number five cylinder and clean it. This is what ford suggested.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the problem solved

it was a cluster of wires that had burnt against the egr tube from skaha ford of penticton not assembling my car properly. grrrrrrr.

steve marshall ford of nanaimo found the problem quickly and were extremely helpful. As well, they gave me a deal. yesssss

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.