Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 17 and looking to get my first car sometime this month. I'm leaning heavily towards Mustangs because of how it feels driving the car.

My question is, what's more fun to drive? Manual or Auto?

Getting a manual seems much cheaper and people tell me that it's pretty easy to learn and you can be decent at it in a few days; but my dad's telling me that it's outdated technology and reselling the car would be much harder (also why make it harder to drive when you don't have to).

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
manual of course.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Red said it all, but I have driven a auot with a turbo, and that was fun as well. You just cant replace the control of power you have at your hand.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Manual.

Not only for the reasons mentioned, but you can switch between smoother, lower rpm shifting, and redline powershifting at the drop of a hat, for any reason or no reason.

You can switch from being power mad at one stop light, to being MGP consious at the next.

Autos can't do that, either.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Get a manual. My gt is an auto, but i really wanted a manual when i bought it.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
A mustang is a performance car. All SVT Cobras come with sticks. With a stick, you drive the car. With an auto, the car drives you. Learning to manipulate a stick will make you a better driver. In some ways your dad is right. In this age of heavy traffic and poorer drivers, the auto is easier to drive and maybe more resell able. That said, you need to be able to drive a stick. I start my kids out on autos because of they need to learn to drive first. Once they have mastered staying in their own lane, throttle and brake manipulation, I teach the stick. If you get an auto, DO NOT become a two footed driver. The right foot operates gas and brakes. Never start braking with your left foot. You will be ruined for learning a stick.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Manual is more fun to drive. Why do you think you see all your buddies with automatics shifting them like their standards? lol. Good luck with your choice and be safe.

·
Registered
78 Posts
manual. they last longer, are more fun to drive, and make you an EXTREMELY better driver, just because they make you focus on your environment and what the car is doing. just find a big empty parking lot to learn in, and be prepared to buy a new clutch within the first two years, after that you should be shifting like a pro.

·
Registered
246 Posts
manual. they last longer, are more fun to drive, and make you an EXTREMELY better driver, just because they make you focus on your environment and what the car is doing. just find a big empty parking lot to learn in, and be prepared to buy a new clutch within the first two years, after that you should be shifting like a pro.
That's another thing.

Once you get used to manuals the maintenance goes down a lot.

I put 70K miles on a 2005 Ford Focus 5sp and never had to change the clutch or brake pads, and that was in hilly Seattle.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Manual. Trust me, my GT was an auto and I got tired of it pretty fast. With a manual you can control the power whenever you want. Plus getting into my friends manual car it was really fun! So I had to out and buy a manual.

Get the manual you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys, I think I'll look more into Manuals now.

Do any of you know any good sites to look for Mustangs?

I've been checking carsdirect, cars, and autotrader but not many of the Mustangs caught my eye =/

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey, I'm only 15 but I love driving the manual over an auto. I think its funner to drive my 2.3 5 spd than it is to drive my dads auto 5.7 Hemi. I watched craigslist for awhile and then I found what i was looking for. Remember people think their stuff is gold, meaning they over price it, just find a weakness in the car, like rust, and exploit it like i did. It saved me $700. I love the feel of a manual.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Craigslist is loaded with mustangs. Fox bodies in particular seem to be a staple of barter.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
if you are 17, yeah a manual...if you are like me and stuck in traffic and drive 100 miles a day, fun is much more relative and the automatic is MUCH more pleasurable to have...being in a traffic jam with a manual is a nightmare.
My 427 car is going to have a paddle shifted automatic...like a Ferrari...will be awesome!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Manual no doubt about it. you could have two identical cars except trans and the manual just feels meaner and is alot funner.

·
Registered
229 Posts
if you get good enough at manual where it is second nature, traffic is no big deal. I have a 45 min commute every day to work and get stuck in traffic jams almost every time. Never bothers me that I drive manual.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
if you get good enough at manual where it is second nature, traffic is no big deal. I have a 45 min commute every day to work and get stuck in traffic jams almost every time. Never bothers me that I drive manual.
Agreed, i commute 45 miles each way, and although 35 miles are normally filled with traffic, manual is second nature to me, and once i hit the 10 miles of back roads, i forget about any inconvenience of the other 35.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Whether or not it's outdated technology is beside the point, as well as which is 0.1 sec faster at the drag strip. There's nothing like popping the clutch and power shifting through the H. Even tooling around in my big throw 4 banger Ranger is more fun with a stick. Heavy city driving wouldn't and doesn't deter me.

Then again, most people in the U.S. prefer autos, so what do I know. But I say get the stick.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts