Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a quick ratio manual rack, I've driven an 85 with the flaming river rack and the response was excellent with suprisingly little wheel effort even with 235 tires up front.

My question is: how bad would the racks response and effort be if I were to use the stock rack&pinion but remove the p/s system and bleed all the fluid out from the rack??? I don't mind a little effort, just so much that my forearms will not burn from parking

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
FirstCavGT said:
I want a quick ratio manual rack, I've driven an 85 with the flaming river rack and the response was excellent with suprisingly little wheel effort even with 235 tires up front.

My question is: how bad would the racks response and effort be if I were to use the stock rack&pinion but remove the p/s system and bleed all the fluid out from the rack??? I don't mind a little effort, just so much that my forearms will not burn from parking
Did you parallel-park that 85?
Try shutting off your motor, and steering the car, while coasting. That's pretty much what you'll get. It's pretty easy to get used to the effort, you'll get caloused hands, and wear out the leather on your steering wheel.:happyhapp
But, a true manual rack would be better, if you're serious about it. They eliminate the slop you get with an unpumped, or dead, power steering system.
If you don't want to shell out the $$$ for the Flaming River, most major parts chain stores carry replacement manual racks for the early fox 'Stang, for considerably less $$$, though maybe not as quick of a ratio.
On the '64 - '70 'Stangs, you can buy a piece, which eliminates the slop.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just buy the manual rack. Its not worth the hassle of sore arms to steer with your power rack drained. Your right though - its not as bad as everyone thinks. Flaming river has been trying to break the stigma for years that a manual rack takes more effort... Sure you wont be able to steer with one finger like I can in my Ranger, but you have a lot more control and can feel the road better. When I drive to work everyday I have to make a u-turn in the morning and one at night and thats the only time where I actually remember I have a manual rack, and it aint that bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.