Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've driven cars that are automatics with manual overrides (ala the new RX-8 which also has steering wheel mounted paddle shifters-- cool). It looks like the GT automatic configuration would allow manual shifing 1st gear up thru 3rd gear. Anybody driven their auto this way? The application I'm interested in is forced downshifting for some engine braking into corners and to prep for corner exit.
jq

Silver GT auto on order. Remember, AAA members can get discounts too! Got mine $500 under MSRP when I mentioned I was AAA.

·
Registered
914 Posts
jqaq said:
Hi,
I've driven cars that are automatics with manual overrides (ala the new RX-8 which also has steering wheel mounted paddle shifters-- cool). It looks like the GT automatic configuration would allow manual shifing 1st gear up thru 3rd gear. Anybody driven their auto this way? The application I'm interested in is forced downshifting for some engine braking into corners and to prep for corner exit.
jq
Check the user's manual, there is a pretty good section on it. And basically, yes you can shift those first three gears, and downshift, however; if you are currently at a speed well above the gear, the computer will not shift down until you have reached the lower speed. If you're cruising at 65 and pull it down to 3rd, it won't perform the shift until you get closer to 40.

If you have it set in 3rd gear and try to get on the freeway, and do not shift up to DRIVE, it will hold you in 3rd and don't expect to get very far.

I have found some decent engine breaking by just shutting off the OD when I want to slow down - this is also mentioned in the manual as a usable method.

I only use the shift options on downgrades (save my brakes) and on some of the more curvy freeway onramps.

FWIW

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Anybody know where I can get a PDF (or similar) version of the manual?
jq

1 - 3 of 3 Posts