Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 09 GT and I am throwing the Exedy 350 stage 1 clutch in it. This is my first clutch replacement and have researched tips and tricks and have the workshop manual to use. The tranny is completely unbolted and ready to drop. Only problem is that it will not drop out. Every bolt is out, there is a jack under it and I have wrestled the thing around all I can but it wont budge, the motor mounts just flex and even when I try to wedge a pry bar between the small metal plate and the block it doesn't move. Just to cover and make sure I've got all the bolts out, I got the 7 that go into the block, the 2 on the bottom that go from the metal plate to the tranny, and the 3 for the starter and the starter itself have been removed. The shiftier is unbolted, the support in the back is off, and the drive shaft is removed. Any help or tips are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would also like to know if the motor drops in the back when the tranny is out because from my understanding, the tranny supports the rear of the motor. Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a way to support the motor if I take it out. I am still working with this thing and I've got it dropped at about as steep of an angle I can get it. The intake manifold is just barely away from the firewall.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Use a pry bar or a big flat head between the block and trans on both 3 and 9 O'Clock. Shake the trans as you get them into place. Slowly pry apart. It will fight for about a inch. Out it comes. The engine will be fine. Wait till you do it with a positive displacement blower on top. The engine will no longer tip because of it touching the firewall.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! :bounce2: Just before you posted that I found the pry spots and used a tire iron and it is slowly coming out about 1/2" right now. dry clutches suck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay new problem. I got stupid advice from a friend and pushed the pilot bearing further into the crank when trying to pull off the flywheel. Now there is little clearance to get a normal extractor in to pull it out. Anyone else make this stupid mistake? I need a new solution hahah thanks.

B
0 Posts
Okay new problem. I got stupid advice from a friend and pushed the pilot bearing further into the crank when trying to pull off the flywheel. Now there is little clearance to get a normal extractor in to pull it out. Anyone else make this stupid mistake? I need a new solution hahah thanks.
Bread....Google it or look for videos in YouTube.

·
Registered
406 Posts

Not sure how you "pushed" the pilot bearing further into the crank since it has a lip on it,, but just rent a slide hammer puller and buss' dat' 'beech out,,

It ain't no fun yanking the tranny to R&R the pilot bearing after an R&R of the clutch,, Sooo always use a new pilot bearing while you've got the tranny out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cut up a bar of soap and stuff the hole with little pieces. Then get a wooden dowel, metal rod or some thing that fits the hole tight. Hit with hammer, pack with more soap, hit with hammer. This will slowly displace the bearing and push it out. Even using the removal tool is tough. I destroyed mine pulling it out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the bearing out, and actually it is a bearing that is in a race that you press in right? With the lip on the race that keeps it from going too deep? Anyways, I welded a long bolt to the race tightened a nut on to approximately a 2" socket to get it out and it popped right out. Clutch is together and car runs beautifully. Thanks for the tips though guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts