Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
What type do you recomend? Synthetic? Open for all opinions!
definitely, synthetic, should throw it in the rear end, too, you'll pick up some mpg & decrease wear.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok kool, any certain brand and weight u recomend? A friend told me to use penzoil syncromesh in the trans and mobile one synthetic in the diff.
kscoyote said:
definitely, synthetic, should throw it in the rear end, too, you'll pick up some mpg & decrease wear.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
Ok kool, any certain brand and weight u recomend? A friend told me to use penzoil syncromesh in the trans and mobile one synthetic in the diff.
Royal Purple, all the way!

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
But isnt that stuff really expensive?
Compared to the others? not that much more . . .but c'mon, how often do you change your gear and manual tranny oil?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You got a point there! What weight do u recomend and wher can i get some?
kscoyote said:
Compared to the others? not that much more . . .but c'mon, how often do you change your gear and manual tranny oil?

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
You got a point there! What weight do u recomend and wher can i get some?
NAPA carries it, they'll have the recommended weight on the books, it escapes me right now . ..

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did a little looking and thought this might help.

http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index
http://www.motorcraft.com/products.do?item=15
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Automatic_Transmission_Fluids.aspx

Damn near everybody makes a synthetic transmission lube so that shouldn't be a problem. A certain number of ford manual tranny's call for auto trans fluid. I didn't believe that when it was first said but I double checked my owners manual and there it was. Ford makes 4 different types of transmission fluids, so CHECK YOUR OWNERS MANUAL ! and make sure you get the right one.

For the Amsoil site, just list the year/make/model/ e.t.c to have the fluids displayed.

As for getting your fluids you can get them in a store or in-line either one. If a store doesn't stock what I want I get UPSclaus to bring it to me. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
kd;akldfj ;kjdkdka kdjkddlkj dlkjf

·
Registered
20 Posts
;lkjdf;kdj;sdkljf kdj;asklj dkjd

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've heard a lot of bad things happening after a tranny flush...things like unlodging chunks of metal that wouldn't have caused a problem if you wouldn't have flushed the tranny. I myself have never gotten my tranny flushed and I'm pretty sure the previous owner(s) didn't either. I haven't had any problems with the tranny...have any of you heard this? Like only flush your tranny if you have been flushing and don't flush it if it's an older model and it's never been flushed?

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
I've heard a lot of bad things happening after a tranny flush...things like unlodging chunks of metal that wouldn't have caused a problem if you wouldn't have flushed the tranny. I myself have never gotten my tranny flushed and I'm pretty sure the previous owner(s) didn't either. I haven't had any problems with the tranny...have any of you heard this? Like only flush your tranny if you have been flushing and don't flush it if it's an older model and it's never been flushed?
The problem with a flush (when the use the front pump to cycle the fluid) is that is removes all the friction material from the clutches and torque converter. That'll usually cause tranmission slippage in older cars.

-assuming it's an automatic.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
The problem with a flush (when the use the front pump to cycle the fluid) is that is removes all the friction material from the clutches and torque converter. That'll usually cause tranmission slippage in older cars.

-assuming it's an automatic.
i dont see how that would happen. None of the clutches are applied when you are in park, nor is the converter clutch locked.

as for the other response as to un lodging chunks of metal. If you have chunks of metal inside the transmission, it was only a matter of time before it failed and stranded you. consider a flush preventative maintenance.

in manual transmissions, i always use mercon V with a bottle of XL3 friction modifier. only a focus manual trans requires the synthetic stuff. and older trucks call for gear oil. (70s)

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
i dont see how that would happen. None of the clutches are applied when you are in park, nor is the converter clutch locked.
When you flush a trans (I assume your dealership uses BG products?) you are cycling the fluid through the front pump (friction material that wears is mixed with this fluid).

It doesn't matter what position the transmission is in, that friction material forms a bond with the trans fluid.

·
Registered
669 Posts
So I'm assuming that my tranny has never been flushed or drained or anything...it's a 96 making it 11 years old. damn... So do you guys think trans fluid work would be a safe thing? It's just that I've heard of trannys completely failing after a trans flush. I have no idea about transmission stuff.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
So I'm assuming that my tranny has never been flushed or drained or anything...it's a 96 making it 11 years old. damn... So do you guys think trans fluid work would be a safe thing? It's just that I've heard of trannys completely failing after a trans flush. I have no idea about transmission stuff.
dont be scared. you have nothing to worry about.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.