Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 86 ford mustang i wish to know if it will perform any better with mass air opposed to speed density is there any difference in performance is there any hp or torque gain ??/?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Some may argue with me but I would say unless your planning on doing major mods not to change it. I hear speed density is actually faster than MAF cars in stock form. If you doing anything more than Cold Air and exhaust it would probably be worth it to change over. If not I say leave it. If you have bigger future plans change it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some may argue with me but I would say unless your planning on doing major mods not to change it. I hear speed density is actually faster than MAF cars in stock form. If you doing anything more than Cold Air and exhaust it would probably be worth it to change over. If not I say leave it. If you have bigger future plans change it.
thx its just one of my friends has an eighty nine vert and he says it makes up for about twenty five horse idk i was just wondering and i am having idle issues so i figured id change over while im fixing that too you know ? so there really isnt a big difference ??/

·
Registered
161 Posts
thx its just one of my friends has an eighty nine vert and he says it makes up for about twenty five horse idk i was just wondering and i am having idle issues so i figured id change over while im fixing that too you know ? so there really isnt a big difference ??/
hehe,, Bro your friend its a liar xD. He told you makes 25 hp more? hahaha........The MAf is when you have some mod´s...if you have any, isn´t a big difference.

Sorry for my bad english bro...
See ya soon

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Well... there is a 25 horse difference between the 1986 (200) and the 1989 (225) BUT it's not from the mass air system. It's from better heads and intake.
Mass air measures the incoming air directly whereas a speed density gets input from several sensors. If you plan on future modifications to up the power then you should upgrade to mass air. If you plan on keeping it stock with mild bolt ons, then you could keep it speed density. The mass air gives better driveability when you modify the engine, if not then a speed density system will drive you nuts with poor driveability, surging idle, lousy gas mileage, and then you'll see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.