Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a question. I will ask it first then explain more.

Is a C&L Mass Air with tube for 42lb injectors, good enough to get a chip tuned for my setup? Or should I get a 90mm lightning mass air? Trying to do it on the cheap like most people.

89 302 mass air, 5speed, with mild cam, port and polished intake, port polished heads (all done myself), 42lb injectors, C&L Mass air with 42lb tube, explorer throttle body 70mm, bbk 70mm egr (using as spacer), long tube headers, 255 pump, no smog, ac delete, msd coil, K&N filter, Ford plugs, Adj fuel press with gauge. Also have air/fuel gauge.

Car runs beautiful. A little choppy idle, but not bad, it’s the cam. Air/fuel always around 12 ish. Going to get a chip sometime soon. I know everyone thinks the C&L is a POS, but is it only crappy because people don’t get a chip when they install it? I know the fuel maps are off with this current setup on the stock computer. If its not a good idea, do you think the lightning mass air is good for me to use? I can get one for about 100$. Just need to get some adapters to fit my filter and rest of intake. I know the 42lb are dumb to have right now, but I am going to put a turbo on eventually. I thought the tune would let me use them wisely till I get the turbo setup. Also going to throw a little nitrous into it for a little fun. I have an old kit that has been in a couple of my past cars. Car has a good amount of power. Just trying to figure out what to do with the Mass Air.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hmm I would say since your going turbo in the future go with the 90mm and get a chip.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Get a slot meter. The LMAF is a great meter if you are sticking N/A or going draw through, but don't work well in blow through applications. The slot meters are generally considered better.

C&L meters get a bad reputation because they are very hit or miss. I had one on my car and absolutely could NOT get my MAF transfer curve cleaned up no matter what I did. I tried clocking it, putting screens in front of it, you name it. It all helped, but I'd still have a "problem area" in the curve where the fueling was off. I swapped it all out for an anderson power pipe and a LMAF, and walla, nice smooth curve.

So my suggestion is a quaterhorse or a TwEECer RT, and a slot MAF. Sell the C&L.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys. If anyone else wants to chime in, please do. I know a bunch of you guys have dealt with the mass air meters, and can share a little info. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts