Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
85MM C&L Mass airflow system.. Is this another name for an intake, or does this assist the intake, in getting more air into the engine? If you do install this, does it help to get the computer reprogrammed?

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
It's a replacement Mass Air Flow Sensor. The mass air flow sensor converts the amount of air drawn into the engine into a voltage signal. The EEC needs to know intake air volume to calculate engine load. This is necessary to determine how much fuel to inject, when to ignite the cylinder, and when to shift the transmission.

Upgrading to a larger MAF on a stock calibrated engine will do nothing but lean out the A/F mixture, which does come pig rich from the factory. But if you plan on getting a custom tune at anytime, it's a waste. The stock MAF is perfectly fine up to ~350rwhp before you begin to peg it. A tuner will have problems with C&L MAF's because of the flow charts created by the companies are up to 20% off... which creates a nightmare on the tuning.

·
Registered
276 Posts
markwondi said:
It's a replacement Mass Air Flow Sensor. The mass air flow sensor converts the amount of air drawn into the engine into a voltage signal. The EEC needs to know intake air volume to calculate engine load. This is necessary to determine how much fuel to inject, when to ignite the cylinder, and when to shift the transmission.

Upgrading to a larger MAF on a stock calibrated engine will do nothing but lean out the A/F mixture, which does come pig rich from the factory. But if you plan on getting a custom tune at anytime, it's a waste. The stock MAF is perfectly fine up to ~350rwhp before you begin to peg it. A tuner will have problems with C&L MAF's because of the flow charts created by the companies are up to 20% off... which creates a nightmare on the tuning.
Great info! Clear, concise. Thankyou!!

G

·
Yeah i vote stick with the stocker for now then let your tuner guide you to the right one. Too many horror stories with aftermarket MAF sensors.

G

·
Your stock MAF is 80 mm... Stick with that until you go forced fed. You won't peg your stock one till then. You can do quite a bit of tuning with the stocker. I say keep it and spend your money elsewhere.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just installed a new upper intake plenum and a new C&L 85mm mass air unit in my 02 gt and it seems to be running great. I dont seem to have any problems. Your stock computer should be able to adjust to the new mass air meter. Granted you'd get far better gains if you reburn your ecu but it still helps. Going to the track in two weeks after i get back from Thanksgiving we;ll see if the mass air meter made as musch of an improvement as i think it did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.