Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go with a 67 dual bowl style manual master cylinder (4x drums). Are the pushrod lengths the same? I don't have the old master cylinder anymore that things been long gone for more than 15 years.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I know this! You have to use your original pushrod. There is a problem with that though. It's held into your original master cylinder by a special clip.

Because my master cylinder was dead, I just pulled out the piston, cut it in half so the pushrod was free, than I pulled the clip off the pushrod.

Another way involves putting the master cylinder in a vice, putting a rod through the pushrod hole, and than using a bottle jack on either side to force the rod up and force the push rod out of the cylinder.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know this! You have to use your original pushrod. There is a problem with that though. It's held into your original master cylinder by a special clip.

Because my master cylinder was dead, I just pulled out the piston, cut it in half so the pushrod was free, than I pulled the clip off the pushrod.

Another way involves putting the master cylinder in a vice, putting a rod through the pushrod hole, and than using a bottle jack on either side to force the rod up and force the push rod out of the cylinder.
I don't have my original pushrod. So, next plan.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
66Sprint is correct. You have to reuse the push rod from your 66 in the 67 dual bowl master cylinder. Otherwise the pedal would be way too low.

I just did the conversion using the kit from CJ Pony. It includes the dual bowl master plus the reconfigured brake lines. You use your existing junction block. CJ's also has a 1966 master cylinder rebuild kit which includes a new push rod for around $18. Give them a call and ask them if that will work. They're pretty helpful.

One thing to keep in mind. The 66 push rod had a retainer clip which kept the push rod from being pulled out of the bore. The 67 cylinder uses no clip. The bore is smooth. Your 66 push rod could come out of the cylinder if the brake pedal got lifted too high. Then zero brakes. You can easily weld a stop or put on some kind of pad to keep that from happening. Just something to keep in mind. Good Luck! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know if there is a car that comes with a dual bowl master cylinder that is a bolt in upgrade for a 66 Mustang? I don't have my 66 pushrod so the 67 upgrade won't work for me.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about this; I have a 67 master cylinder that is for power-drum brakes. I just searched and found that I could buy the 66 pushrod and clip off ebay. Can I put this in the master cylinder that I have? I am thinking they are probably the same, it would make economic sense to build the master cylinder to where you could slap a pushrod in it for a manual application, or bolt it directly to the booster for power application. They are listed on Autozone as having the same bore diameter and all that.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a power master cylinder sitting out there on the bench, out of a 77 Granada. It looks like it has the channel inside to accept the locking clip from a pushrod! Also SOMEWHERE out there is a pushrod from an old F-100, if I can find that I'll see if I can get it to seat and click into place. If it does I'll know I could do the same thing with a 67 master cylinder and 66 pushrod off ebay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts