Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you all help me settle a dispute. How much horsepower can you get from a 289 without a stroker kit or supercharger. My friend says 400 hp and I say its more like 350hp. Just by boreing the block, aftermarket heads , intake and carb, I guess that a basic build?
Thanks

·
Registered
638 Posts
im pretty darn sure you could squeeze more than 400 even, out of a 289

the right carb, intake, headers/heads, camshaft, and upgrades to the transmission, as well as replacing small things like pulleys, and whatnot, and you could probably even get it up to 450/500ish.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
With stock heads and larger valves, a few tricks here in there it was done back in '67 - "Shelby's 1967 Trans-Am engine pumped out some 425 horsepower."
1967 Shelby Trans Am

With modern day machinery being more precise and using alum. heads it shouldn't be hard. Of course you didn't specify if it would be streetable 400+hp, pretty sure that TransAm series car made most of it's power in the 7K RPM range or above.

Jon

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have been to their shop and this place is impressive for sure. In their lobby,they have a picture & build specs of a big block with twin Paxton Superchargers. And you should see the cars these guys are working on. They had an original 289 Shelby Cobra on the lift when I was there. Talk about big $$$$ cars, these guys work on everything Ford under the sun.
Those 289's can put out some serious horsepower for sure.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
the 289 was a more powerful design than the 302 with it's shorter stroke...add some good heads, cam and compression and exhaust and 400 should be very easily obtained...remember boss 302s put out over 400 with ease once they got the big cleveland heads, so rejoice in modern technology and put the hammer down!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would anybody like to take a guess at the horsepower my 289 might produce. My engine builder dose not have dyno and I would appreciate your input.

1967 coupe 289
bored 60 over
9.1 compression
comp cam -268
alum 60cc heads
performer alum intake
holley 650
roller rockers
hedman headers 2.5 duals
3.55 gears

This is what got our discussion going. Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I,M not sure why the 60 over . They told me the block was in good shape when they started. I will call and ask.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The reason for asking is the 289s had a thin wall design and usually is not recommend to go over .040 due to overheating issues. I live in Texas. I had mine rebuilt .030 and they had to redo the cylinders to .040 to get the rings to seat. I started having overheating issues, which is common down here.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally talked to my engine bulider and he said he had to bore that far . That the engine had been rebuilt before. He told me everything would be fine and he would stand behind his work. So i'm upgrading the radiator and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
86 Posts
60cc heads ...

... which ones ?

oh yeah ... manual or auto trans ?

If I can look up the flow numbers, I might be able to get you a fairly accurate HP TQ estimate ...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Besides upgrading the radiator, replace the belt-driven fan with an electric fan. It will free up some hp and keep it cooler.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked on my notes pro comp alum heads 60 cc 210 and 70 I think are the flow numbers. Auto C-4, Will I need to do upgrades on the trans also. The electric fan sounds like a great Idea. Thanks for your replys:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine has bore .030 and according to the copy of dyno from previous owner produces 430HP @ 7000 RPM. I have mild racing cam, headers ,Electric fan, 670 Holley 4 bb and I just switched from Electric Fuel Pump to High Flow manual (much more quiet) . I also have a cooler for the transmission mounted on my radiator. Electric fan keeps it running around 195 degrees

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I looked on my notes pro comp alum heads 60 cc 210 and 70 I think are the flow numbers. Auto C-4, Will I need to do upgrades on the trans also. The electric fan sounds like a great Idea. Thanks for your replys:D
A production V-8 C4 will handle up to about 300 HP with a good (big) cooler in addition to the radiator cooler. Putting a TransGo shift kit and a 67 to 69 valve body will increase the life and shift quality a lot. The ideal C4 for over 300 HP would be a 71 or later C4 with an additional clutch in each of the two packs and some mods to the case for cooling and lubrication. With a performance cam you will likely need to get a higher stall converter. (probably around 2500 - 3000 RPM)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts