Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that this is also torque dependent to an extent, but my question is if anyone has broken a stock crank? If so approximately what RPM? Im trying to figure out if I balance the engine internally, so that there is no longer a 50oz imbalance on the flywheel, and all of the rods are equal, etc, etc... how high this baby will rev before I snap the crank. If anyone has any insight at all, please let me know. By the way, I am slightly inquisitive about this, because Summit and others sell cranks that spin up to 7000RPM, but that is not much higher than the stocker... I have not seen any that spin to 8 or 9, but have heard that racing cranks which are about a $1000 do...

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I'd think you'd really have to be moving some air through the intake, heads, and exhaust, to support those revs. I think the nascar motors will go well into the nine thousands.

·
Registered
514 Posts
a boss 302 will spin 8-9 grand all day long....its those huge ass heads

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
The Boss 302 had a forged crankshaft. I guess I'd be looking to pick up some additional stroke too, if I needed to upgrade my crank for durability's sake.
Can't go Wrong with a set of Clevelands and the appropriate manifolding. Of course, the Boss also had four-bolt mainbearing caps. I'd love to drive one of those things.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will a boss 302 crank work in a roller block like mine? I forgot that the Boss revved so high. I have been looking into finding a forged crank that will support those revs. Are there any others that will fit into a 302 roller block that are forged and will support that if properly balanced? Thanks guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.