Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 Mustang and I just installed the Maxim Motorsports steering shaft. My issue is with the fitment on the steering rack side of things. Check out the images. Sorry for the poor quality. It just barely fits on the tip of the shaft. Anyone else have this issue or know what's wrong? Mine doesn't appear to be adjustable.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can't tell but it should have a telescoping center. Was looking at these before at LRS and noticed they have one for power and one for a manual rack.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You need to remove the pinch-bolt in order for it to slip on the rack input shaft. And yes, it should telescope.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to remove the pinch-bolt in order for it to slip on the rack input shaft. And yes, it should telescope.
I didn't see one, I'll have to go back out and check it out again. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Its the allen head bolt that clamps the steering shaft to the rack input shaft. You can see it in your photos. The bolt passes through the groove that goes around the center of the splined section of the shaft.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its the allen head bolt that clamps the steering shaft to the rack input shaft. You can see it in your photos. The bolt passes through the groove that goes around the center of the splined section of the shaft.
There is no screw there, just a Piece of weld.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
See attached instructions. No insult intended, but it shouldn't be a difficult install. Its a direct replacement of the stock shaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See attached instructions. No insult intended, but it shouldn't be a difficult install. Its a direct replacement of the stock shaft.
Thanks. I just got back from the garage and figured it out. Turns out this one is a free floating system and there is no pinch bolt to adjust. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks. I just got back from the garage and figured it out. Turns out this one is a free floating system and there is no pinch bolt to adjust. Thanks for all the replies.
Please see the attached pic. Completely remove the circled allen head bolt, slide the steering shaft all the way on to the rack stub shaft, & re-install/torque the bolt. Please.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it, thanks for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts