Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was wondering what modifications one can do to maximize the Horsepower output of our mustangs without changing heads, intake manifold or switching the engine.
I want to maximize the output of my mustang without doing those major changes to the engine. In other words Stock engine block with bolt on or other modifications that maximize and increase horsepower.

also is there any tips or tricks people use out there to squeeze an extra couple of HP out of their engines?

I have a 1990 5.0 vert LX auto. (with stock alternator)
if you have any suggestions for my car feel free to post, all criticism and ideas are welcome in my threads.

thanks for reading.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
unless you plan on heads, the rest ain't much. good exhaust, cai, t/b and matching maf, 1.7 roller rocker, ect, ect... all will not add up to a good set of heads.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i know heads give the engine a TON of power but it looks pretty complicated and idk if i want to get tangled into such a big modification.

·
Registered
511 Posts
sounds like you should have a shop or a experienced friend help you replace heads or intake/throttle body. they really arent that difficult. the only other power adder without replacing those things would either be nitrous or a supercharger. even with either of those you would be upgrading the fuel system anyways.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm i see

well timing can be done with a chip??

and wait whats this about the air box silencer?? i dont know about this trick.
i have a BBK fender well CAI is there still an air box silencer in that?

and yea i dont have any mechanical experience but ever since i got my fox its been like the discovery channel in my engine bay lol. i love it and i will be takin classes for mechanical stuff soon so maybe in the longer run heads and manifold is an option. For now tips and tricks haha

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's not really that complicated, you just have to know what you're doing. And anyone can gain the knowledge needed just by reading up on the subject.

I just replaced my valve cover gaskets the other day and I'm just a computer geek. It ain't hard.

...though it is kind of annoying how much crap you have to remove just to get at the valve covers on these things. Heh.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
If you want to build up confidence start small. I suggest doing a intake swap maybe with a throttle body upgrade so you can start getting your feet wet. Read up before the swap your about to do so that you have an idea what you might be getting into first.

But like Mark said the real power is in the heads so without cracking off them bad boys don't expect huge gains.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
So i was wondering what modifications one can do to maximize the Horsepower output of our mustangs without changing heads, intake manifold or switching the engine.
I want to maximize the output of my mustang without doing those major changes to the engine. In other words Stock engine block with bolt on or other modifications that maximize and increase horsepower.
My 5.0 was putting down 229rwhp/277rwtq before I swapped my home ported stock intake for an Edelbrock Performer, so that's as much as you're likely to get from stock engine hardware (including home ported stock heads) and bolt-ons with an AOD tranny.
If you leave the stock heads/intake unported, 210rwhp is the most you're likely to get.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm i see. well hopefully i can get up to 230hp after mods at least.

so what about this air box silencer? Is it worth takin off or does it just make a little more whistle?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm. so it looks like there is not much i can do besides maybe gears full exhaust and CAI.

I looked and the air box was removed.

hey does anyone know how often i should change or wash that BBK fender well intake filter? about every 12,000 miles maybe?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
hey does anyone know how often i should change or wash that BBK fender well intake filter? about every 12,000 miles maybe?
I'd check it at least every 10k miles and wash it as necessary. As long as the plastic fender liner is still intact, the filter should be well protected from rain and dust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts