Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys…so no idea if this is the right place but here goes. So I know the 4.6 is naturally a noisy and loud engine. However mine makes a almost ticking or metal sound between 700-1100 rpm’s and I’m really worried. Idk how to post this video on here so if someone could send me a video of there 05-09 gt so I can hear it that would help maybe? It’s on a 87 tune from bama and I’m just wondering if I should get rid of her if she is falling apart. It’s a 2007 gt and shifts and builds power fine but this metal noise is scaring me. Thanks!

·
Administrator
6,416 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
If you need help posting, please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

To post a video, you first post it YouTube. Then just copy the share link into your post.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
How many miles are on it?

·
Administrator
6,416 Posts
Marbles clanking/clacking? Just a wild guess, but that sounds like pulley bearings. Like a belt tensioner, idler pulleys, or accessory bearings (Alternator, A/C, etc …).

Hard to say by way of an internet guess. Try making the sound-clip and posting it.

·
Registered
05 GT Premium, satin silver over red. Vortech Si-trim @ 9 psi.
333 Posts
My experience with rod knock is that it gets worse very quickly. If you've put more than a hundred miles on it with no change in the sound, it probably isn't rod knock. A bad pulley is entirely possible and easy to diagnose, just pull the belt off and run the motor for a few seconds.

·
Registered
2006 Mustang GT
3,994 Posts
Idle to 1100rpm is the right rev range for cam phaser knock or timing chain rattle. We'd have to listen to a video of the engine with the hood open and away from any echo-inducing walls to get a better picture.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys thanks for the responses! It’s a automatic, and it might be a pully. There is no change in sound in the past 100 ish miles, and like I said it still handles fine but it’s just the clanging marble like noice at very low rpm. Also one thing I didn’t add is my rpm’s will stay at 700 then drop to 650 then go back. It’s not abrupt but it is noticeable that it doesn’t say 100% consistant.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey guys…so no idea if this is the right place but here goes. So I know the 4.6 is naturally a noisy and loud engine. However mine makes a almost ticking or metal sound between 700-1100 rpm’s and I’m really worried. Idk how to post this video on here so if someone could send me a video of there 05-09 gt so I can hear it that would help maybe? It’s on a 87 tune from bama and I’m just wondering if I should get rid of her if she is falling apart. It’s a 2007 gt and shifts and builds power fine but this metal noise is scaring me. Thanks!
We had the same noise on my Pastors 06' and i ended up finding all 8 sparkplugs lose.... tightened them up noise gone.

·
Tech-Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
4,328 Posts
We had the same noise on my Pastors 06' and i ended up finding all 8 sparkplugs lose.... tightened them up noise gone.
I had 2 spark plugs loose(and broken) in my 2005 3v as well. It also made a tapping sound because of it.
Okay unfortunately I don’t have a YouTube account so I can post the video here….however many of you said metal sounds at low rpm’s could be a pully system issue…so I’m having my mechanic take a look at it for the pullies…hope he finds something
The 3v is known to have some inherent flaws/issues with some original earlier parts. The first few years of the engine had weak 2 piece spark plugs, bad cam phaser design, bad timing chain tensioner design, and bad cam follower design. The plastic timing chain guides are also known to break apart and fail when the tensioners don't do their jobs properly. This can clog the oil pump pickup and/or seize the engine if the chain skips more than 1 tooth. Ford makes all updated parts to fix these issues but being that your 2006 probably has all these original parts still in it I would be wary. Usually, you don't have to worry until after 100k miles but some people have reported failures occurring sooner than that. Time itself instead of mileage could be at work.
I agree with others that a pulley or other engine accessory should be looked into first.
There are other sites that you can post videos onto and then put a link to on here.

·
Registered
2006 Mustang GT
3,994 Posts
It isn't clear from the video what type of noise it is but I didn't hear anything that sounds like con rod or cam phaser knock. Another thing to explore is the possibility of a separator plate rattle between the block and bellhousing. There's a TSB for this issue:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I don't hear anything unusual.

·
Registered
83 Posts
From what you describe, it sounds like timing chain tick. Slack in the chain is letting it slap against the timing covers.

·
Tech-Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
4,328 Posts
From what you describe, it sounds like timing chain tick. Slack in the chain is letting it slap against the timing covers.
Timing chain slap against the timing cover would only happen on initial cold startup. I know this firsthand. If the chain were that sloppy even after startup when the tensioners get pumped up with oil then the chain would skip teeth and tear up the guides in no time.
Here I can post from TikTok. I know it’s hard to hear in the video since I have a loud exhaust but if you listen close you can hear almost like a marble metal sound every time I give it a tiny rev. Brandon Schmidt on TikTok
The audio in the video wasn't revealing anything for me. The exhaust is quite loud too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts