Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that the head gasket for my '91 302 block has to have a specific pattern to block off the water passages in the front of the block. I ordered AFR 185 heads from Brothers Performance Warehouse and they included Cometic head gaskets, part # C5511. I also told them I have a Motorsport B50 engine block bored and stroked to 347ci. I went to install the gaskets and noticed these gaskets have open water passages on both ends. Im unable to block off anything.
My question is - if I use them as-is will it cause overheating problems or hotspots?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am not sure about the Motorsport type blocks, but as far as the stock blocks go, I know of no difference. I know on some of the early (1968) 302 blocks/heads there were some differences with water passages. I am pretty sure that the FelPro gaskets I got were applicable to all 302s. I would think blocking off a passage when you need it would be worse than not blocking one off. I do know that there are numerious intake gaskets that you can use and that you need to find the correct one for your application.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solved

Spoke with Ford Racing today and heres the skinny:
For street driving the gaskets should ALWAYS block off the water passeges in the front of the block because it forces the coolant to travel inside the block towards the back and up through the head and back to the front where it exits through the lower intake. If it wasnt blocked off the water would pass through from front of block to front of head to lower intake, and would completely by-pass the the back of the block and back of head making LARGE hotspots, especially in cylinders 4 and 8. Only in certain applications can the front water passages be open, such as alcohol fueled cars, and short duration uses like dragsters since heat isnt constant.

:sterb: I'll go order the correct head gaskets now :dunce:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[solved]

Here is what happened - I was NOT sent head gaskets #C5511 like the invoice stated. They were a "mystery meat" part (Im thinking possibly for some special application). We're not quite sure what they're intended for.

Note: I should have suspected something since they didnt come in the original packaging.

The Cometic head gasket #C5511 (bore size 4.030") IS the correct gasket for latemodel Ford small blocks with bore 4.000". One side of the water passage IS blocked off, which confirms what the Ford tech told me. Upon further review however I personally was supposed to get part #C5513 which has a bore of 4.080". This is designed for blocks with a 4.030" bore like the 306, 331, 347, etc.

Glad we finally took care of this. Now I can assemble the heads!! :happyhapp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.