1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't know how much future is left in the Ford/Mazda platform and technology sharing anyway? Mazda's taken a beating with the latest 6 not doing so well here in the U.S. I have a 2004 6 sport wagon with a V6 and MT, and it's a great car, but newer models have really flopped. They don't even offer the wagon in North America anymore, let alone one with a stick. Zoom-zoom has gone flat...

·
Registered
585 Posts
I find it kind of amusing that I'm going from a 2005 Mazda 6 to a 2012 Mustang. Didn't know until recently that they were built in the same plant. Anyway, I really love my Mazda 6, it's been a great car for me and I consider it "sporty". I think I'm gonna crap myself when I start going WOT in my Mustang :gringreen

·
Registered
361 Posts
I find it kind of amusing that I'm going from a 2005 Mazda 6 to a 2012 Mustang. Didn't know until recently that they were built in the same plant. Anyway, I really love my Mazda 6, it's been a great car for me and I consider it "sporty". I think I'm gonna crap myself when I start going WOT in my Mustang :gringreen
lol i'm doing the exact same thing: going from an '08 Mazda6 bought brand new to a 2012 Mustang.

J

·
0 Posts
I was under the impression that the Ford-Mazda partnership ended a few years ago. I thought Ford their share in 07 or so. Is that not correct?

It might help them rebuild their reputation. They're near last place in quality ratings amongst the Japanese brands. I still respect them, I drove a rental Mazda 6 and it was a lot of fun to drive and handled way better than any other base model sedan I drove. The RX8 is a brilliant track car as is the MX5 but their reputation for quality isn't the best.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I was under the impression that the Ford-Mazda partnership ended a few years ago. I thought Ford their share in 07 or so. Is that not correct?
I think Ford and Mazda still co-own the Auto Alliance plant in Flat Rock?

It was merely coincidence, but every car I currently own was built at that plant:
2011 Mustang GT
2004 Mazda 6s
1999 Mercury Cougar V6

:shigrin

·
Registered
585 Posts
lol i'm doing the exact same thing: going from an '08 Mazda6 bought brand new to a 2012 Mustang.
Another Mazda 6 owner here. I bought a 2010 for my wife and she loves it. It is the V6 and has every gadget you can get on it except Nav. I think it is a great car overall, comfortable ride, pretty quick with the V6 and a huge trunk but we were both pretty bummed about them not offering it with a manual transmission.

I wish they still made this one... it was a timeless design and I'm not a fan of the new RX8. Also, the Miata is still on my wishlist... someday.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I loved my Mazda 3, right up until the ECU went out for the second time

Traded it in on the Mustang :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
585 Posts
I wonder how much my dealer will subtract from their initial trade-in offer after running a carfax on my VIN and finding out about this incident...

Before (spun out in snow on the garden state parkway and hit a guard rail):

After:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a Speed6 before getting the Mustang. Not built at AAI, but still a fun car to drive. Before that, I had an '03 Protege 5-speed.

Mazda doomed themselves into building a bloated version of the 6, which nobody wanted. People bought them because they didn't feel like an Accord or Camry, and had a sense of style to them. The 09+ feels terrible in comparison. My g/f currently is leasing a 6s Touring, and I'm not fond of it at all.

I can only hope that AAI will pick up a Lincoln variant down the road that will ride on a future Mustang platform.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Another former Mazda6 owner here (2003). My 6 was a great car. It even had room in the back for passengers. I wasn't too crazy about the new design. They made it too big and less sporty. My '11 mustang has more power and gets better mileage so I'm very happy now. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I had an 04' RX8.... that rotary was a complete piece of crap...So glad i came to my senses and ditched it for my GT :smilie

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Once they put all the happy smile faces on the front of all their cars it was hard to look at them seriously anymore. then they put the face on the Miata.... bad mistake that was.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I just sold my Mazda 5 hours ago (a condition of Mustang ownership lol) and I have mixed feeling; it was almost brilliant overall but not an enthusiast's car obviously, despite having great handling.

I was spoiled before though with an Evo and a couple of WRXs so the Mustang will be an oh-so-welcome return to performance...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, I just sold my Mazda 5 hours ago (a condition of Mustang ownership lol) and I have mixed feeling; it was almost brilliant overall but not an enthusiast's car obviously, despite having great handling.

I was spoiled before though with an Evo and a couple of WRXs so the Mustang will be an oh-so-welcome return to performance...
What did you have?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a '89 Mazda 626 for a long time. It came out of Flat Rock as well and was built alongside the almost-a-Mustang-replacement Probe. It was a damn tough car and cheap to repair. I don't know how many times I saved a bundle by getting Probe parts instead of the ones for a 626. Same bits and pieces developed a considerable premium when they said Mazda on them instead of Ford.

The last I read, Ford was down to a 3.5% stake in Mazda and was looking to continue the trend. I thought I read somewhere else that Mazda was looking at Toyota to be its savior. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL to smiley-face... I always thought the newer Mazda logo looked like a bird, outdone in strangeness only by Toyota.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Another Mazda 6 owner here. I bought a 2010 for my wife and she loves it. It is the V6 and has every gadget you can get on it except Nav. I think it is a great car overall, comfortable ride, pretty quick with the V6 and a huge trunk but we were both pretty bummed about them not offering it with a manual transmission.

I wish they still made this one... it was a timeless design and I'm not a fan of the new RX8. Also, the Miata is still on my wishlist... someday.
Last I heard, Mazda's RX9 to come was supposed to be based on that generation RX7 and not the RX8. Also getting rid of the passenger swing out doors. I also heard that Mazda may not even make an "RX9", but an "RX7" to stem from the Miata/MX5... Who knows.

As far as Auto Alliance, there has been murms of closing that facility. Again, who knows.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.