Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a Mcleod Street Extreme clutch along with a Mcleod steel flywheel installed on my 2000 Mustang GT. After the install I noticed a vibration at 1,500 rpm. No vibration before or after the 1500 rpm mark. I called Mcleod before calling the shop that did the install and Mcleod said I needed to balance the clutch to the flywheel before the install and they offered the service for $120. I had no idea I had to balance the clutch, there wasn't any literature stating such, and there isn't anything on American Muscle website that said I need to balance anything.

Has anyone else had to go through something like this?

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
The excuses from them just keep growing every year....for the past 40 years, same excuses out of these guys..... now that their parts are 100% coming from china, QA is just going down even farther. Every clutch pressure plate is suppose to be balanced before it leaves to go to a customer.... now when I say balanced, it's checked.... and one of 2 things happens...they either add just a hint of weight to it or scrape it since most need no weight added!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly it feels like the flywheel since the vibration happens in neutral with the clutch in or out. Would it be possible that their flywheel is out of balance?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I finally got this figured out. I had to uninstall the clutch and flywheel, send them to a machine shop that balanced engine parts to balance, then pay to have the clutch reinstalled to the tune of $1,800. Mcleod said I should have balanced to begin with and American Muscle said to send it back and they would send me another one. Neither one of these companies give me much confidence.

Why don't the clutch and flywheel come balanced as a package? Anyways, I hope this saves someone some money on their next clutch install..

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Well I finally got this figured out. I had to uninstall the clutch and flywheel, send them to a machine shop that balanced engine parts to balance, then pay to have the clutch reinstalled to the tune of $1,800. Mcleod said I should have balanced to begin with and American Muscle said to send it back and they would send me another one. Neither one of these companies give me much confidence.

Why don't the clutch and flywheel come balanced as a package? Anyways, I hope this saves someone some money on their next clutch install..
What you are getting is more BS than ever before...... although true in high rpm racing engines, in street engines, individual component balancing is more than adequate! Ya really think that Chev Corvettes ...they pull, disassemble and re-balance the engine when they (a shop) replaces a clutch? H- No!

What you have are parts which do not meet mfg spec! and you the customer are having to complete their work!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts