Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know, off hand, what year/model of either 8 or 9 inch Ford Rearends will bolt into an 88 Mustang??? Currently I have a stock "whatever-inch" rear with 3.43 gears, NOT a posi. I'm desperately wanting to put a posi into it, but all the ones I find in 5.0's at wrecking yards are too high of gears for my little 2.3 liter, like mostly I'm finding 2.79 and around that. I'd like to have anywhere between 3.25 and 3.50 gears, but definately want a posi (I know, Ford calls them "Traction Lock"). Should I just keep searching for a stock rear with lower gears in a posi, or does anyone know of a quick, easy bolt-in 8 inch or 9 inch that fits?

Thanks. Hey, you gotta admit, this question wasn't as rediculous as my last one!

Shawn

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
There are no 'bolt in' 8 or 9 inch rear ends for the fox chassis. I wouold guess that you have a 7.5" rear in your 2.3 car. The pre-86 GT's used this rear axle as well and they had a Traction-Loc, so if you could find one of those it would work.
You could also upgrade to an 8.8", and then buy a set of gears in the ratio that you want.

Better yet, try and find a rear axle from an 87-88 Thunderbird turbocoupe, and get a 3.73 with a traction-loc and 4 wheel disc brakes. This is a relatively easy upgrade, and well worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info!

Aren't those Turbo Coupe rears IRS? Most of the rears I've looked at in T-Birds have independant rear suspension, which looks hard to swap. You're right about my rearend. I looked in a Ford repair manual. YES! 3.73 would be SWEET. I'm not trying to make a hot rod out of my little $500 4-banger, I just want it to have a Traction Lok rearend because apparently these cars are light: this thing tend to break traction easy, even with brand new Toyo Ultra Touring tires. Where I live it rains 364 days a year (or so it seems), and the roads are usually very slick. Better traction would sure help.

Thanks again, man. Hey, cool shot of the Stang off the line! Not sure how you do those little video things, but it's cool.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The 87-88 Tc cars are solid axle, and a bolt in for the Mustang.
My avatar is just something I found on the net, my car is still under 'construction'.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, man.

Now I know what kind of rearend I'm going to be looking for! One wrecking yard I go to occasionally has lots of T-Birds, but I don't know how many Turbo Coupes they have. And I guess that would make sense that they have such low gears because they're a bit heavier than Mustangs.

Thanks again, man!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.