Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am riding home from work yesterday and stop at a light. A nice looking Corvette pulls up in the next lane but I really didn't want to engage with him so I made no eye contact. Next thing I know he's revving the motor, so I figure OK, why not?

Light changes, he pulls ahead, I surge and catch up to him. He shifts and goes about 5 ft in front of me. So I floor it, the roar from my CAI sounds awesome, and I leave him about 10 feet behind me when he slows down.

Funny ending (and true) - as I am looking in my rear view, I see the guy turning into a Ford dealership. :grinroll:

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
That will teach em :gringreen

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What year vette? Def couldn't have been a later C4, C5 or C6. i'm thinking he wasn't trying...
I agree, but I'm also thinking that I surprised him a bit. Still made me feel proud of my V6.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Yeah... I dont want to rain on your parade, but unless that vette was 20yrs old, Its hard for me to believe. I dont think you'd have any reason to come in here and fabricate anything. Just seems a bit unreal. But I cant refute what you saw with your own eyes and experienced in person.

A "good job" is in order I guess?

B

·
0 Posts
I had a similar incident on the interstate against a 135i. All the test reports indicate they are faster than our v6, but I kept pulling on him. I do have a tune, CAI ans 3.31 gears but still think a 135i should be faster than me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have beaten a vette before it was the 350hp 04 version, anything can happen but unless your heavily modded, then it was an older vette. But you still beat him :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
94 Posts
I wish I had the videos from that night. He kept beating me visually because he kept redlighting but on the timeslips it tells a different story. Closest race was me running a 9.06 while the vette was right behind me running a 9.14. I dont know physics I just know what happened.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I still don't understand how someone could even beat a C5 with 350 hp. They weighed quite a bit less. Physics would simply contradict this outcome.
ive seen it done. i saw a video of a 99 cobra with exhaust work and 4.56 gears waxed a c5 vette with the 350 hp by 2 cars down the 1/4. i was very impressed. even though the 2nd race between them the cobra blew the differential, he shouldve had a diff brace.

remember, power #'s dont mean much now and days.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i test drove a corvette 2001 with ithink 350hp and a 2008 with a 436hp! sorry but THE CORVETTE is a beast NO WAY you could win!!! not with 300lbs more and 45hp less(2001 corvette) those 2008 and up corvette s are crazy fast i mean those suckers know how to push you in the seat:worship(i test drove a 5.0 and camaro ss too!)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ahhh. 1/8 mile is a different story. I can see that. If the Vette is not quick off the start and not on his game it could easily be a V6 Mustangs race. Actually even in the 1/4 mile the 350 hp C5's are low 13's. Difference they're running ET's at around 110 mph so they're pulling away quickly from the Mustang.

I'd take him. :cooldude:

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I screached around the desert last year with a buddy who owns a 2007 C6 Corvette, 400HP, auto and 3,500 lbs of fiberglass and plastic. No doubt this V6 Pony couldn't catch him when he was serious about putting distance between us, but when road conditions and speed became the great equalizer, he was still shocked that I was able to catch up as quickly as I did. I was quite surprised too. I'm guessing his Vette is in the high 11's factory??? Speedometer pegs at 200 MPH, and after driving it myself, I've no doubt it will hit at least the 180's if not the full 200.

Still, nothing says we can't beat a Vette. Depends on the year.

·
Registered
206 Posts
A 6spd c5 rated at 350hp put down 298rwhp on my fathers
MD MUSTANG DYNO!!! with a K&N and weighed 3318lbs dry!!! My car with less mods than i have now and pump gas put down 283rwhp and weighed 3285lbs then!! weighs less now and makes more power maybe 290ish. So that becomes a drivers race, I myself have ran c4s and c5s... c4s unless seriously modded dont stand a chance, c5s are side by side until 150ish when it becomes aerodynamics coming into play in their favor. I cant tell you how many times ive seen slower cars destroy faster ones just because of driver mod. i have already dusted off atleast 6-8 2010 gts and prob a bakers dozen 05-09 gts NONE OF THEM STOCK!!!!

Unless someone sees it to prove the negative than who cares.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I agree with Gxster. The driver make's the diffrence. I ran a C5 vette on HWY 57 goin into Ramona, Surpirsing to myself I out drove him. On the straight away's he walked away never gettin more than 1-2 carlength's away. On the turns I caught him and most of the time got around him :winks. But like I said I was able to out drive him not out run him. Its doable Congrats:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
332 Posts
as much as i would like to brag up my my 2011 v6 pp.it wont ever beat my 1979 383 stroker corvette.now my vet handles like crap after bout 115 mph(im lying it handles like crap fo 0 to 115) and the mustang is smooth as silk at 112 mph but it also would be a full second or more behind on the track.im pretty sure i will make a 5.0 owner want to turn into the ford dealership for a refund.o and the seat of the pants torque you feel in the vet will make you sick compaired to either mustang.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.