Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the verge on stripping my 68 coupe, and my project has come to a screeching halt because of the lack of information about the topic. i am not sure wether i should get it blasted with media or with baking soda. My freinds who have restored before tell me to go with the soda because it won't warp metal or anything of that nature, so if youve been through this before and you know what works, let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Personally, I have been using ground walnut shells to blast the parts of my 72 coupe. They are easy to reuse and biodegradable. The metal doesn't get hot enought to warp. I've heard that using soda will slow the rust on exposed parts versus using media. Just make sure that you use a good dust mask and head gear. The stuff gets into all kinds of nooks and crannies.

Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had my 65 Stang media blasted. Make sure it is plastic media at low pressure. I believe this process is cheaper and easer to find than soda blasting. This process will strip paint down to the metal and knock out rust fast with out heating up the metal that causes warping. After my Stang was blasted the blue color from the spot welds were still visible so it’s not that aggressive. I see you are from Dallas, I am in Fort Worth and I had my Stang done in Tulsa OK, which it was half the cost that I could find in Dallas. There are also shops advertising at the local swap meets so you can talk to them and see samples there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.