Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm planning on waxing my new baby this weekend. I've already touched the paint and it doesn't need to be clayed. I will either wash, polish, and wax or wash and wax.

My question is that I've used Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0 and their Cleaner Wax. Which wax should I use for a first time wax since the car was built 6/11/10?

Thanks in advance for any information.

G

·
Only use the cleaner wax a few times a year if your car is stored outside.... It has slight diminishing abrasives and chemical cleaners - I wouldn't use it unless the paint is truly dirty.

Your paint can't be that dirty - it's a new car - so I'd use the Tech Wax at this point...
you've established you don't need a clay and cleaner. :bigthumbsup

Post up pics when done!:yup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would rather have the extra breathing room, than clay any new car. If you get any type of mark on it later down the road, there's little or no hope to rub it out without repainting. + 1 on just use the 2.0, besides a duster and their detailer, it's all I use on her 6K mile, 07, black, GT/CS. Could only wish it was a 2011. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
417 Posts
This is what I do when I get a new car. First check over car front to back to make sure there are no dings or paint defects call dealer if any at once, Then wash car then i claybar the car after claybar check car over again look for any paint flaws. You will be surprise how much the claybar will pick up even on a new car ( Rail dust dirt)
then use a good cleaner .check for any scratches and use a swirl remover if there are
Now you have a good base to work with wax your car with your fav wax two or three coats. make sure you only hand wash your car 2 bucket method never go to the car wash. use only high end towels wash mits ect will help keep down on swirls use a good detail spray to bring out the shine hope this helps

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what I do when I get a new car. First check over car front to back to make sure there are no dings or paint defects call dealer if any at once, Then wash car then i claybar the car after claybar check car over again look for any paint flaws. You will be surprise how much the claybar will pick up even on a new car ( Rail dust dirt)
then use a good cleaner .check for any scratches and use a swirl remover if there are
Now you have a good base to work with wax your car with your fav wax two or three coats. make sure you only hand wash your car 2 bucket method never go to the car wash. use only high end towels wash mits ect will help keep down on swirls use a good detail spray to bring out the shine hope this helps
When you say good towels...I use thick microfibers towels I found at Wal-Mart (and they really are thick not cheap) should those suffice? I use the Absorber to dry off my cars and I hope will not cause swirl marks. I didn't use to use a 2 bucket system because I would thoroughly rinse the sponge off before I dipped it back into the bucket.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I use a leaf blower to dry the car then use a 100% cotton towel made in the USA (others not made in USA may have nylon mixed in witch can scratch) Hard to know witch towel/microfiber you use, test it first to see if it scratches (on another car then your mustang first) I use different towels for different jobs, microfiber to clean windshield, 100% cotton to blot water after the leaf blower, same towel to put on detail spray and another towel to buff it after. You will find witch combo you like the best if in dought you can always buy your towels from one of the many detail stores on line. Sounds like your on your way to a show room shine car.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Two bucket system and a good electric leaf blower to dry the car. Best way to minimize swirling.

If your paint is that clean, just stick with Tech Wax. Wax, then take pics :smilie

G

·
I am going to try the leaf blower next time!!! Besides you and 06 redfire suggesting it - the detailing guy on my local forum showed a technique in a video to dry your car... he called the one "The Pooling Rinse Process".... a slow full out rinse pools the water together to leave much less for blowing... :bigthumbsup

I can't wait to try this!!

YouTube - The Pooling Rinse Process

·
Registered
522 Posts
I am going to try the leaf blower next time!!! Besides you and 06 redfire suggesting it - the detailing guy on my local forum showed a technique in a video to dry your car... he called the one "The Pooling Rinse Process".... a slow full out rinse pools the water together to leave much less for blowing... :bigthumbsup

I can't wait to try this!!

This works ! I got this tip from the Meguires website---the "sheeting" action of water running off does work. Makes for less hand drying with towels.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I washed the car and even tried the pooling technique, which works very well. Have not waxed it yet because it began to rain. Will wax tomorrow and have pictures posted by Monday.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here pictures of my freshly waxed baby. I even clayed, waxed, and spray detailed the wheels...and boy do they glisten even more.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
It looks great glasd to hear you claybar even tho you think it was clean I'm sure you can tell that it was clayed. Now all you need to do is keep it up.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Since it's a new car how about the Meguiars ultimate quick wax, the spray on and wipe off stuff? I just bought a bottle to test on my wife's black tahoe and it seems to work really well. Maybe I'm retarded but I've never waxed my trucks (bought them new, one is 2 years old and one is 5 years old), I just wash and dry them really well every couple of weeks and they still shine like they are brand new and have no swirls.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since it's a new car how about the Meguiars ultimate quick wax, the spray on and wipe off stuff? I just bought a bottle to test on my wife's black tahoe and it seems to work really well. Maybe I'm retarded but I've never waxed my trucks (bought them new, one is 2 years old and one is 5 years old), I just wash and dry them really well every couple of weeks and they still shine like they are brand new and have no swirls.
A quick wax is just a temporary fix. I use to do this every time I washed my cars until 3 years ago when I began using liquid wax on my cars and there is a big difference in shine, water beading, and the protection of the paint. Waxing the proper way does make a difference because it will make the car look like it just came fresh from the factory.

·
Registered
631 Posts
A quick wax is just a temporary fix. I use to do this every time I washed my cars until 3 years ago when I began using liquid wax on my cars and there is a big difference in shine, water beading, and the protection of the paint. Waxing the proper way does make a difference because it will make the car look like it just came fresh from the factory.

Thanks, I might have to give it try if I ever get my car!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Here pictures of my freshly waxed baby. I even clayed, waxed, and spray detailed the wheels...and boy do they glisten even more.

How long did it take you to clay bar? My hood (at the very least) begs for a claybar next wax, but it takes long enough to get a thorough hand wash and dry in before waxing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How long did it take you to clay bar? My hood (at the very least) begs for a claybar next wax, but it takes long enough to get a thorough hand wash and dry in before waxing.
I have not clayed my car yet. I will after the winter because I garaged my car it still feels like it doesn't need to be clayed. I have clayed my wheels before (just to see how the wax sticks). With the car only being 4 months (and I think my car was about 1 month old when I did it) I didn't notice much of a difference. After the winter I will do a full detail since our winters are not that bad living in the south I don't really have to fully detail before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.