Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it sounds like I'm the proud new owner of a 1980-81 mercury capri, can't remember the exact year. The car has been in my family as long as I can remember. My grandfather drove it for quite a while and my dad has had it for some 15 years probably. It even survived 6 months or so of my sister driving it, which I'm completly amazed by.
My question is where can I get original body parts for this car. I've thought about it for years that if one day it were mine I would up date the look to the 87-93 body style. I've also thought about making a 85-86 gt clone but now I think I want to keep the look stock, it's really grown on me through out the years. Thing is a few years ago someone got the D and R mixed up on their shifter and backed into my dad at a fast food drive through, so the hood and bumper need replacing along with a few trim parts also. Any help in finding a place where I can get stock body parts would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
try checking here:
Four Eyed Forums - Powered by vBulletin

& please dont convert it to a aero-stang.
if thats what you want, go buy one. there are plenty of 87-93 mustangs.
not very many capri's survive today.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
even though i'm not a fan of capri's, i agree with keeping it original looking. BUT if it has a bubble hatch, get rid of that...they are soooooooo ugly

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree about the bubble hatch, never been a fan. Thankfully I don't have to worry about that with this capri and the more I think of it the more I want to keep the looks original. The motor is a different story, pretty sure the stock I6 200 is going to get replaced by a 302.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
im putting my vote into the ballet for keeping it stock looking. there arnt many capri survivors around. id get rid of the bubble hatch though:yup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Anyone that wants to get rid of their "ugly bubble hatch" call me and I'll send you a crate to put it in! What's wrong with looking a little different? You guys are nuts. Once you take it off it's almost just another mustang.

4 eyed pride has a great section that indicates what parts are interchangeable with our cheaper less refined cousins. Good resource. Just keep away from those mustang badges. If you put them on bad things happen: the driver seat frame bends, the rockers and lower doors start to rot and you lose some speed

83 was the first year for the bubble so I think he's safe on that. You'll need a new k-frame to go to a V8 I think. A v8 or 4 cyl k-frame will work if I remember correctly. The 6 k-frame was different.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Anyone that wants to get rid of their "ugly bubble hatch" call me and I'll send you a crate to put it in! What's wrong with looking a little different? You guys are nuts. Once you take it off it's almost just another mustang.

4 eyed pride has a great section that indicates what parts are interchangeable with our cheaper less refined cousins. Good resource. Just keep away from those mustang badges. If you put them on bad things happen: the driver seat frame bends, the rockers and lower doors start to rot and you lose some speed

83 was the first year for the bubble so I think he's safe on that. You'll need a new k-frame to go to a V8 I think. A v8 or 4 cyl k-frame will work if I remember correctly. The 6 k-frame was different.
different isn't always good. the bubble hatch gives them more of a "station wagon" look, imo, reason why i don't like them. but you know what they say, different strokes...

your capri looks good though, even with the bubble hatch. :p

and you are correct, i6 k member wont work for a v8 swap. you need a 4 banger or v8 k member. i believe the v6 k members will work too

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
336 Posts
First off, because it's 80-81 it will have a flat back Mustang hatch on it to begin with. The bubble hatch didn't come out until 1983-86. Just for the record the bubble hatch is actually more aerodynamic then the flat back hatch. Why you would want to change to a Mustang front is beyond me. It will make it look like a Mexican Mustang (this is not a slur, in Mexico they mixed the Capri and Mustang parts together), only it won't be one. The Capri is a pretty rare car, especially the later years. They only made 3600 like mine. They made half the Capri's in 1980 compared to Mustangs. If I had an 80-81 standard/base Capri, I would make a V8 RS clone out of it with a Saleen wing and switch to the 83-86 Capri grill and put a air dam on it. I think they look better IMO anyway. You can't beat the blacked out front on a RS Capri either :bigthumbsup

My Car

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I'm pretty sure my mind is made up and I'm going to keep the capri look, no need to update it when I already have a 92 mustang, and like I said earlier the capri body style has grown on me. Power train I'm not sure on yet, it will be a v8, but I have plenty of time to think about that on my deployment next year. Right now I just need to start figuring out where I can get parts. Oh and by the way I double checked and it's a 1980.

·
Registered
727 Posts
What parts are you looking for? As mentioned, the Mustang in Mexico was a "hybrid" of Capri / Mustang parts from 1981 to 1984, so it´s "easier" to find Capri parts around here. I can help you out searching for parts if you want.

I´m actually in the process of looking for a 1979-1984 Fox to restore and my brother and I have been going through the process of whether getting a "real" Mustang or a "Capri" Mustang hybrid....

Here in Mexico basically the 1982 and 1983 mustangs had the capri front end and could be bought in both hardtop and fastback form. Capri Tail lamps were present from 1981 to 1984 so they are not hard to find either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts